Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Young robin came over for a visit earlier.

20170619130346_IMG_1672.JPG

BlueDog

Veteran
I came across this little chappie sitting about 18 inches from the curb side whilst going up Cheddar Gorge this evening, so I think he's very lucky not to have been run over. I moved him back to safety, but I would like to know what he brand he might come from. Any ideas?

IMG_7143.JPG

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I came across this little chappie sitting about 18 inches from the curb side whilst going up Cheddar Gorge this evening, so I think he's very lucky not to have been run over. I moved him back to safety, but I would like to know what he brand he might come from. Any ideas?

View attachment 357988

It's a robin

Unfortunately it's quite a way from fledging so I can only guess it's fallen out of a nest. I'm afraid it doesn't stand much of a chance as it can't feed itself and is easy prey for predators but you never know

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Came across mother ptarmigan and something like 7 chicks today near Barns of Bynack today, difficult to count as they fled in multiple directions when we inadvertently disturbed them. Lots of vocality between mother and chicks as she broke cover just in front of us. We retreated and took a diversion to leave them in peace.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It's a robin

Unfortunately it's quite a way from fledging so I can only guess it's fallen out of a nest. I'm afraid it doesn't stand much of a chance as it can't feed itself and is easy prey for predators but you never know

There's a chart on this page advising what to do if you find a baby bird out of the nest - usually the best thing is to leave it alone.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The blackfly on our potatoes and echinops , the ants seem to be having a feest on them .

IMG_20170621_190426791.jpg
IMG_20170621_192557022.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
Driving up towards Richmond from Northallerton today and saw a bit of a commotion on the verge in front of a farmyard hedge. As I got closer I realised it was a kestrel. Once I was more or less alongside i saw it was standing on a young rat, with that faraway stare they give while their hapless lunch gives up the struggle.

Moved into my new weekday pied a terre yesterday. A caravan on a working farm. The farmer had separated some lambs from their mums this week, apparently he'd had loads of triplets so there were a dozen or so youngsters in the "pet" lamb field. They spent most of yesterday calling for mum which is always kinda heartbreaking, not to mention noisy. They e settled now, so I'm outside listening to the curlews and Lapwings which are all around. The hens next to me are making that contented "time for bed" murmur, and there must be three or four blackbirds singing away. Life is good.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have just purchased one of those automatic infrared cameras. I am still experimenting with what is the best location for the camera and what distance is best to put the hedgehog's food from the camera. here is an early morning shot of a blackbird.

IMAG0041.JPG

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
I was just totting up the wildlife we've seen in our visits to Speyside over the years. Golden eagles, ospreys, loads and loads of red squirrels, crested tits, pine marten, otter, ptarmigan, black grouse, golden plover, red throated diver, goldeneye with chicks, barnacle geese with chicks, mountain hare, snow bunting. And just a few miles up the road, dolphins in the Moray Firth. A magical place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom