Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueDog

Veteran
Okay, thank you for that.
Although I have to confess I'm a bid disappointed it's not something a bit more exquisite, or at least a Lesser Spotted Starling:rolleyes:.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Sudden cacophony of Blackbird alarm calls when I was working in the garden this afternoon - looked up to see a female Blackbird in hot pursuit of a (probably female) Sparrowhawk. Couldn't see for sure whether the hawk had caught anything, but I think it hadn't. The Blackbird's fury certainly saw the hawk off the premises, though!
Recalled an occasion a few years back, when I was stopped at a red light on the way to work, heard a row and saw a Pied Wagtail chasing a male Sparrowhawk. I still marvel at the courage of such a small bird taking on a potential killer.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
We have a fairly regular hedgehog who comes for a feed most nights. Well tonight he had a friend with him. Two hedgehogs eating from the plate.

One seems quite dark the other much lighter.

MikeG

Guru
A red kite landed on our green gage tree yesterday. Earlier, a kestrel had landed briefly on the lawn (I don't normally see them land unless they are on a kill). To complete a day of interesting avian sightings, we watched a crow teach itself how to get access to our nut-feeder. I'll bet no-one else has seen a crow hang upside down ......albeit this involved lots of wing-flapping, and lasted only 10 or 15 seconds each time.

We now have 66 species on our list of birds seen in our garden, which, considering "pigeon, blue tit, blackbird, and pheasant" was the sum total after a the first year, is testament to the wildlife-friendly garden we've made from nothing, and the benefits of setting up lots of different feeders.

Now, can anyone tell me how to keep bloody mallards off the pond?

MikeG

Guru
......This morning there was a male Chaffinch feeding on bird seed on the path. I haven't seen a Chaffinch for a year now although I sometimes hear one singing in the distance.

Have you tried putting a seed feeder up? We've now got dozens and dozens of chaffinches visiting, albeit not so much at this time of year when there is food everywhere.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
What shall we call these 2 ?

IMG_20170610_062044706_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170610_062040934_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom