Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Lots of folded leaves in the pond, so I'm hoping that is the newts laying eggs.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Emerged today, plus what it emerged from:

cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

Reminds me of the final scenes of MiB

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I did a bit of cycling today (well, you know). After 20 miles I stopped at a pub. I saw a massive great bird of prey, which I suppose must have been a red kite, although I would have guessed it was a golden eagle by the size of it. It actually flew into the pub garden about a couple of yards away from where I was sitting. I also saw a much smaller bird of prey hovering by the roadside. I suppose it was a kestrel or a harrier. I don't know the difference. It's good to see these things, I never saw any when I was a boy, although I don't suppose the rodents agree.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I did a bit of cycling today (well, you know). After 20 miles I stopped at a pub. I saw a massive great bird of prey, which I suppose must have been a red kite, although I would have guessed it was a golden eagle by the size of it. It actually flew into the pub garden about a couple of yards away from where I was sitting. I also saw a much smaller bird of prey hovering by the roadside. I suppose it was a kestrel or a harrier. I don't know the difference. It's good to see these things, I never saw any when I was a boy, although I don't suppose the rodents agree.

The hovering one was a Kestrel. Their "country" name is Wind Hover. Harriers are quite different....bigger, they don't hover and they glide along with their wingtips pointing upwards making a "V"

The one in the pub garden was probably a Red Kite. It could have been a Common Buzzard which is a similar size. Could even have been some escaped thing like a Harris Hawk (often used in falconry displays) as it sounds quite tame

gbb

Legendary Member
5am, walking the dog in an urban estate....peep peep ....peep peep...and two waders zig zagging around a field in close formation, black upper wings with a very distinctive white trailing edge. Circled a couple times, low, still peeping and off....
Oystercatchers.

I couldn't post this earlier as we were contact less.
Whilst waiting for the Torbay Air show to begin I heard a strange whistling call a bit like an Oyster Catcher. I looked out to sea two black birds chasing one another. I lost them for a minute whist I scrambled for my binocs, I could see that they weren't what I thought as I couldn't see any white markings. I managed to catch sight of them again flying towards me, sooty black, Crow, Chough? Skua even crossed my mind but as they got closer I could see they were a pair of Peregrines. The colour of them totally confused me as they were very dark in colour. I saw one later on in the afternoon carrying a bird back, I'm sorry that my picture is very blurry.
IMGP3756.JPG

Top Bottom