Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mandragora

Cycling uphill yesterday and heard the sound of what I can only think was a buzzard distress call - a lot of buzzardy shrieking and, glancing up to my left, a large, brown bird-shaped thing sitting in the field with a couple of buzzards overhead. I couldn't see that clearly, and there was nowhere safe to stop, but in the end I thought it may have been a newly fledged buzzard, having got itself to the middle of the field and then not knowing what to do next - either that or it was a pheasant in the field and the buzzards were calling about something else - but it really was a distress-type noise that was being made. It made getting up the hill a bit less miserable, as it distracted me for a few minutes!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just cycled in to work along the Coton cycle path as per usual. As said before I've seen a couple of hares on the margin. This morning there were 5, just sat, sitting, about 10 yards away.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
On my early morning commute I've been seeing lots of bunnies frolicking. This morning I rode past a crow pecking at an unfortunate bunny that had been Watership-Downed in the middle of the road. I glanced at the corpse and its glassy eye stared right back at me. Dare I say it looked right into my soul and gosh darn if I didn't nearly chuck up. Later on I saw a pigeon.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My pond was a green dead pond about 2 month back..malards destroyed most of it..all the frog spaw eaten and just a few newts and frogs left..
i gave it a clean out and added some barley straw..and sorted the oxegen plants..
its a wild life pond so no fish..looks fab now and back to full health..
1436987662276.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Blackbirds are waiting outside the living room window, waiting for their sultanas.
Do they wait patiently? Or do they, like mine, fly back and forward past the window to attract attention?

Buying around 4 packets of sultanas a week at the moment, worth it as they are fun to watch! :smile:
our lot "2 male blackbirds and 1 robin, in addition to the usual tits) have worked out how to hover on/under/at the bird fat feeder and are consuming the fat like it is going out of fashion. It is great fun to watch, but the fat gets expensive after a while. I do have a seed feeder as well which we keep with sunflower hearts in it but I accidentally purchased a 12.5kg wild bird seed this time around and they are not impressed. They eat the sunflower seeds from it and 1 other item and leave the rest or throw it out on the floor, so if there is anyone in this area (Northwich, Cheshire) who wants 12.5kg of wild bird seed, it is free to a good home. They don't eat it, so there is no point in feeding it to them. :sad:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
our lot "2 male blackbirds and 1 robin, in addition to the usual tits) have worked out how to hover on/under/at the bird fat feeder and are consuming the fat like it is going out of fashion. It is great fun to watch, but the fat gets expensive after a while. I do have a seed feeder as well which we keep with sunflower hearts in it but I accidentally purchased a 12.5kg wild bird seed this time around and they are not impressed. They eat the sunflower seeds from it and 1 other item and leave the rest or throw it out on the floor, so if there is anyone in this area (Northwich, Cheshire) who wants 12.5kg of wild bird seed, it is free to a good home. They don't eat it, so there is no point in feeding it to them. :sad:
My lot are like that about peanuts. Won't touch them. This year's favourites are sunflower seeds and fat blocks (with added mealworms) though now that most have had their chicks, my weekly spend has thankfully plummeted. Always worth it though.

gbb

Legendary Member
'Hey Col, was that a big bird in the factory yesterday ?'
'Yes, it was a rook, they're quite big'
'I think he's up by the loading bays now, don't think he can fly, its just waddling around'

The rook had already flown, that's another story, but we went and had a lookee..
'Oh, that's a cormorant, I said...
20150717_095249_zpsjunwmkb5.jpg

He didn't know what it was...we were about 6ft away from it.
I said...'Blimey. i'm surprised, you know when you drive along the Forty Foot (a local, very big drain that's a local landmark, many miles long)...you'll see loads of em perched on telegraph wires drying out...you must have seen them'
'Oh, I didn't realise'
'Fishermen HATE them with a vengeance, voracious fish eaters'
'Oh...I don't think its very well, it won't fly'

About an hour later, it was waddling up the yard right where lorries pull up so I ushered it towards a nearby field...where it promptly flew, albeit ungainly, off and landed 100 yards away. No doubt not 100% well...hopefully it'll be ok.

Top Bottom