£15 Helmet £50 Helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I was just thinking,whats the difference? both have the same inner and outer shell,both have similar straps that have to pass british standards.Now im not talking about helmets that have inflatable this or that add on,but basic helmets.So why such a big difference in price?:biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
dunno but usually brand name is a lot of it but brand name gets you snazzier design, better design and better quality in materials

after the initial basic cost you're spending more for less but you are getting something

Commuter

I've often wondered about cyling costs, particulary bikes , ie, a Specialized compared to a Colnago. Both will do the same job.

A £15 helmet or an £85 Giro Atmos .. both will do the same job, the dearer one will have more cooling vents and be a bit lighter.

But at the end of the day it is similar to asking why a Versace cotton suit costs 10 times what a similar offering from M&S does.

Fashion / label bling ??

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
some of the pricier manufacturers such as giro offer a reduced price replacement if you crash.

it's just a personal thing, but i would rather wear a helmet from a recognised manufacturer. you might well get a helmet for £10 at lidl that meets british standards (which are inadequate anyway), but i'd hate to find out that it wasn't up to the job restrospectively.

nickwill

Your head will get hot in a cheap helmet if you are working hard. More expensive helmets are usually more adjustable, and cooler. If you find a helmet that fits, and keeps you cool you are more likely to wear it.
After years of trying different helmets from loads of different manufacturers, feeling uncomfortable, and thus going out without one, I've finally found one that fits properly. For me the Specialized Decibel is worth the extra money, because I can put it on at the start of a ride, and forget its there!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I was hoping to get a cheap helmet when I got my bike in April 06, but alas I have a big head (which probably explains why one-size-fits-all hats never fit me) and none of the less expensive helmets fitted. The only helmet Halfrauds sold that went up to my head size (I found a tape a measured it myself as the sales kid was stumped as to what to do when none fitted) was the Giro Havoc, and it was £50. I nearly fainted...

I like it; I sweat buckets even when sitting still when it's even slightly above freezing, so a helmet with lots of vents is ideal. Doesn't stop me getting a sweaty head, but I've no doubt it'd be much worse with a hat with only a few holes in it !! ;)

PrettyboyTim

Seems to me there's three main factors in the safety of the helmet:

a) The helmet absorbs some of the energy of the impact by breaking
:biggrin: The helmet prevents the bit of car/road that your head is hitting from actually making contact with your head
c) That the helmet restraint keeps the helmet in place during a crash.

It's my guess that a) and to a greater extent :biggrin: may be reduced by getting a more expensive helmet with larger and more numerous vents, however a more expensive helmet is likely to be better with c). Also, a more expensive helmet will probably keep your head cooler. Cheap helmets are less likely to have had wind tunnel tests etc...

My helmet is about 10 years old now - I wonder what kind of improvement I could get from a new one?

wafflycat

Perry said:
Surely cheap or expensive the helmet must meet British Safety Standards?

Is the correct answer. BUT, there are standards and there are standards: some are higher than others.

Here you go:-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/research/rsrr/theme1/bicyclehelmetsreviewofeffect4726?page=6

Several standards are higher than the basic one many of the ones sold in the UK meet.

Edit: for me, the key is, if you want to wear a lid, get one that fits, as different manufacturers/models have different head shapes. Example - in my case, Met lids are the most comfy ones *for me*

col said:
I was just thinking,whats the difference? both have the same inner and outer shell,both have similar straps that have to pass british standards.Now im not talking about helmets that have inflatable this or that add on,but basic helmets.So why such a big difference in price?:biggrin:

A more expensive helmet should be lighter and more ventilated but I believe most of its down to designer labels/ fashion.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
So if we go back to my shoe comparison.

Are expensive shoes, just cheap shoes with better labels?

Can you see what i'm getting at? More expensive helmets are better than cheap helmets, for a variety of reasons, and its not just fashion or labels. if it was, you would see more folk using 15 year old 'pudding bowl' solid polystyrene helmets.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Blimey this has been resurected hasnt it?But thanks for the extra answers:biggrin:

Top Bottom