£150 an hour for collecting waste paper!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just went into my back yard to put out the rubbish for tomorrow's collection and noticed scraps of waste paper blowing down our backstreet. The strong winds had upset a few recycling bags further up the road.

Tut-tutting at the silliness of people not putting heavy objects on the bags to stop them getting blown about in these windy conditions, I set off in pursuit of the paper. I had collected all the litter except for one piece which was tumbling past me at high speed. My exact thoughts were "Hmm, that looks like a soggy five pound note" closely followed by "Actually, that IS a soggy five pound note"!

I managed to catch up with it and it is now drying out in my kitchen. That will pay my cake bill for the coming week! :hungry:

"It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good"! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
I just went into my back yard to put out the rubbish for tomorrow's collection and noticed scraps of waste paper blowing down our backstreet. The strong winds had upset a few recycling bags further up the road.

Tut-tutting at the silliness of people not putting heavy objects on the bags to stop them getting blown about in these windy conditions, I set off in pursuit of the paper. I had collected all the litter except for one piece which was tumbling past me at high speed. My exact thoughts were "Hmm, that looks like a soggy five pound note" closely followed by "Actually, that IS a soggy five pound note"!

I managed to catch up with it and it is now drying out in my kitchen. That will pay my cake bill for the coming week! :hungry:

"It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good"! :laugh:
Fake!
I mean who throws money away if its genuine.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

And before anybody suggests it ... NO - I am NOT going to send out a tweet to the good people of Hebden Bridge asking if anyone has lost a fiver! :okay:

Fake!
I mean who throws money away if its genuine.
I did take a good look at it! It has the watermark and the foil strip, and the paper feels right (though soggy).

If it is fake, then it fooled me, and will probably fool the cake shop owner too ... :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
And before anybody suggests it ... NO - I am NOT going to send out a tweet to the good people of Hebden Bridge asking if anyone has lost a fiver! :okay:

I did take a good look at it! It has the watermark and the foil strip, and the paper feels right (though soggy).

If it is fake, then it fooled me, and will probably fool the cake shop owner too ... :whistle:

Genuine test. Turn the note over, do both sides appear the correct way up?

classic33

Leg End Member
There were £10 notes on the correct paper, but printed with one side upside down, in circulation around the end of last year, locally.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will go and compare the fiver I found to the one I got in change from the cake shop!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sounds like you got a reward for picking up other people's rubbish Colin, well deserved :okay:
I thought that - I went from being Mister Grumpy to Mister Smiley as soon as I caught up with the cake money!

Though as it's Easter I would be tempted to buy an easter egg instead of cake with it :mrpig:
If any Easter eggs are bought, they will be after-Easter eggs when the shops are dumping the old stock at bargain prices.

Incidentally, I was in Sainsbury's in Halifax after my hospital appointment on Monday and a woman at the next checkout had the biggest haul of chocolate that I have ever seen. I am talking a full-sized trolley so crammed with Easter eggs and multi packs of Snickers etc. that it wouldn't all fit! The only thing that would make sense was that she was buying treats for a whole school, old folks' home or something like that. Or maybe she had given birth to 10 or 11 children who had supplied her with 10 or 11 grandchildren each ...? :whistle:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Ever so often you get a reward for a good dead!!

I pick up litter from my garden every day or so - more on windy days. About twice in 23 years I've found cash - both fivers I think.

Top Bottom