£2000 vs £5000 and above Carbon bike performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
My friend upgraded from a 3k to a 6k build and knocked 45 seconds off his dartmoore classic time.
I think this is the point. the bike can make only a marginal difference. If you are a competitive racer that difference may translate into a number of places on the leader board and it is worth every penny. If you are looking not to get dropped of the back of a club ride each week then you are going to be disappointed.

outlash

also available in orange
You really need it spelling out. OK

You said the difference between a hi-mod and a standatd Evo is £2k (£3k less £1k).

Here is the Cannondale Hi Mod Ultegra on the Cannondale website: It's $4260
http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...parentid=9e0382fc-e3f9-4c61-9599-3aafb7a863b4

Here is the Cannondale Supersix Evo on the Cannondale website. It's $3,200
http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...parentid=4b6987a4-968e-4016-8156-95582340b7db

The specs are almost identical, bar a better wheelset on the Hi mod. Same year, therefore directly comparable.

The difference in price is therefore $1,060. Around £600-£700 depending upon the exchange rate.

Knock a bit more off for the better wheelset and you are down to about £500.

Why do I know this? Because I was looking at buying one 6-9 months ago and so was a mate. My mate went for the Evo (non Hi Mod) in the end and I went for something completely different.

So you've picked me up on pricing, which I see you have quoted in dollars and the last time I looked we still use sterling in the UK. As you know, this wasn't my original point as I was replying to Vickster and did a quick Google to check on prices the UK. All you're doing is being pedantic to score points and taking the thread off topic. As I said, have a medal.

Funny how peeps spout bollox when they'll do anything to prove a point.

AFAIK, the difference between the Cannondale Supersix Evo frame and the HiMod version is about 250g. Build them both up with identical parts and the only real weight difference will be in your wallet.

It's not just the weight as the 'better' versions will have a different lay up(and different types of carbon) so it may have different characteristics to the lower model and may be actually stronger in certain areas.

Got my Ridley Helium sl frame at half price so it's ended up cheaper than the standard version.

If anyone wants a hi-mod then look here;

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m6b65s25p6646/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-HI-MOD-FRAME-2015

It's very much a case of 'casting pearls before swine', for the vast majority of leisure cyclists. There are differences, but most normal riders couldn't exploit the differences / utilise the full potential of a top end bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's very much a case of 'casting pearls before swine', for the vast majority of leisure cyclists. There are differences, but most normal riders couldn't exploit the differences / utilise the full potential of a top end bike.
Why does that matter if they enjoy riding it?

Citius

It's not just the weight as the 'better' versions will have a different lay up(and different types of carbon) so it may have different characteristics to the lower model and may be actually stronger in certain areas.

Characteristics which, realistically, nobody will be able to identify.

jay clock

Massive member
....... the Superfish 5000. (Yes, I made that up.) ..........

no you didn't https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e...d=cr&ei=C62TVobUNMPyUNjgkdgB#q=superfish+5000

Again, Citius, I must disagree with you. I am no sort of expert, but there is no doubt in my mind that from my personal experience of riding a range of what might be called "high-end" bikes, I can feel a significant difference in stability, handling and stiffness between them. More significant, even than the difference made by tyres, which is huge. Much of it may be in the mind, admittedly, but minds are important!

Citius

Again, Citius, I must disagree with you. I am no sort of expert, but there is no doubt in my mind that from my personal experience of riding a range of what might be called "high-end" bikes, I can feel a significant difference in stability, handling and stiffness between them

Sure. And when I get into a different car, it feels different. Because it's a different car. If you get on a bike - any bike - you will notice a difference in handliing, stiffness, whatever - for all kinds of reasons, none of which has anything to do with the price tag.

Much of it may be in the mind, admittedly, but minds are important!

If it's in the mind, then it's just a belief. Nothing more. Bike reviewers are paid to come up with this kind of nonsense - let's not do their jobs for them.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sure. And when I get into a different car, it feels different. Because it's a different car.

If it's in the mind, then it's just a belief. Nothing more. Bike reviewers are paid to come up with this kind of nonsense - let's not do their job for them.

Nor sure I quite follow which side of the debate you're on now. The "different cars feel different" thing I agree with, and for me is much more important than posh-ness or whatever. Likewise my Thorn nomad ( heavy tourer) feels very different from my Condor tempo (audax-ish -leaving aside it's a fixie). Ok these are very different styles of bike albeit at similar price point. Surely it's not unreasonable for bikes for similar purposes to still feel different if the designer had different ideas? Maybe a Woodrup versus an Argos or whatever.

Absolute speed /efficiency might be similar but a rider might well prefer one or the other for quite tangible reasons

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm on the side of the debate which says that 'feel' is totally subjective.

just to check - do you mean "subjective" as in preference for say Laphroig rather than Glenmorangie - a reasonable matter for opinion, or "subjective" as in the hi-fi nerd claiming to be able to hear the difference between copper and silver speaker cables - ie total bollocks

Citius

just to check - do you mean "subjective" as in preference for say Laphroig rather than Glenmorangie - a reasonable matter for opinion, or "subjective" as in the hi-fi nerd claiming to be able to hear the difference between copper and silver speaker cables - ie total bollocks

Well, both really, because they amount to the same thing - ie someone's belief or opinion.

PS - Old Pulteney is the way forward...

Top Bottom