£2000 vs £5000 and above Carbon bike performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Well, both really, because they amount to the same thing - ie someone's belief or opinion.

OK, let's try again - by "subjective" do you mean there's a difference but it's one of taste / choice but still real, or are you suggesting that it's all in the mind, albeit still some people's opinion?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Well, both really, because they amount to the same thing - ie someone's belief or opinion.

PS - Old Pulteney is the way forward...

Good choice on whisky -

... I'm out on the other discussion as you're clearly just being too clever for me

Citius

OK, let's try again - by "subjective" do you mean there's a difference but it's one of taste / choice but still real, or are you suggesting that it's all in the mind, albeit still some people's opinion?

Not sure I follow. Facts are objective - opinions are subjective.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not sure I follow. Facts are objective - opinions are subjective.

I'm just trying to work out if you are rubbishing subjectivity: "it's all in the mind" or whether a subjective judgement in this sort of case has any meaning or value in your view.

Tried to use the whisky tasting example as it seemed clear enough, whilst the hi-fi cables example is clearly (to me) an imaginary difference.

Citius

I'm just trying to work out if you are rubbishing subjectivity: "it's all in the mind" or whether a subjective judgement in this sort of case has any meaning or value in your view.

I'm saying that a subjective opinion is only relevant to whoever holds it. As an opinion, it is perfectly valid. I would only 'rubbish' it if there was an attempt for that opinion to be presented as fact.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm saying that a subjective opinion is only relevant to whoever holds it. As an opinion, it is perfectly valid. I would only 'rubbish' it if there was an attempt for that opinion to be presented as fact.

OK, I don't really agree with that. In my view some subjective opinions are useful and meaningful to others - Laphroig is peaty, Dallwhinnie is heathery, and in a sense these judgements are factual

Subjective opinions that silver hi fi cables have some magic property or other is simply bollocks - although some argue otherwise.

Citius

Strangely, you said Feel was a Science in another thread. Make your mind up.

Can you link to where I said that. I'm guessing you misunderstood it. You have form for that kind of thing...

I really don't think this is a good time for metaphysics, but I am not convinced that "mind" and "the imagined" are the same thing. A long time since I read Popper(and that was negligently and sketchily), but I really can't see how one can judge the "good feelings" a quality bike might give other than subjectively.

I am a very average rider. I have a bike which I will admit I cannot do justice to, probably two bikes if I'm really honest. One is worth two and a half times the other. The high performance (lol) engine in both is the same, me. When I bought the 2 grand bike four years ago i was like a dog with two whatsits when I got my Cervelo I was like a dog with two whatsits. In their own time frames, both made me smile. I can't point to any performance gains that I get from the new and more expensive bike, but riding it makes me happy. I'm looking at aero wheels currently, I understand that they won't add too much in speed, but boy they will look good and that will make me smile too. Sometimes I feel that some get hung up on practicalities and value for money when dispensing advice or they simply get off on being condescending and dismissive. Now that wouldn't be a first for an internet forum, would it?

mattobrien

Guru
I'm looking at aero wheels currently, I understand that they won't add too much in speed, but boy they will look good and that will make me smile too.

A good looking bike goes faster. Fact. A good looking bike with a smiling rider, barely a blur as they zoom passed at such a speed.

I want new aero wheels, but I suspect a new kitchen will be required first. And ironically a new kitchen may make me faster, as i may get more time out to ride once the kitchen is done...

Top Bottom