£2000 what would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I am about to cash in a small pension and am in the happy position of wanting to buy a carbon bike for around £2000. The only stipulation is that I want the bike to have disc brakes. I am planning to cut down on running (really forced to cut down due to constant injury) and I have as one of my targets next year the Bristol to Bordeaux bike ride. One bike I have seen that does appeal is the Giant Defy advance 1 carbon.....

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy..._mK0LFStXRLn5d3jMhu47yH56Y_HlwdIaAm63EALw_wcB

any others you might care to recommend?

Heigue'r

Veteran
I like giant bikes so biased...great choice above

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Specialized Roubaix Elite: all carbon, disc brakes, saddle and stem suspension. Got mine reduced from £2000 to £1700 in my LBS. Photo in my thread " unexpected expense".

Drago

Legendary Member
Whichever one felt nicest to ride.

400bhp

Guru
Maybe get a bike for about £1k-£1.2k and put the rest towards a decent set of wheels? Even a second hand set.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ride your shortlist, whatever you do. Have you had carbon before? Make sure you like the ride. I have a Genesis eq steel, a carbon bike and have tested a couple of Ti options. The latter has a lovely smooth springy ride even on shoot industrial estate road services

£2k won't buy the best Ti out there, most if you want discs and 105/Ultegra are more like £3.5-4k

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I've got a Boardman Pro Carbon and would recommend it to anyone - but at 'only' £1,500 it might not be expensive enough? :laugh:
It would leave you enough in the budget for some worthwhile upgrades though.

Or you could look at the Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.0 Disc, which looks an absolute steal at just £1,799...
you are not the first to mention this bike, in fact I have viewed at cycle republic bristol store and Boardman bikes for what I can see have a great following..

Top Bottom