£2000 what would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

So, it'll be a bike used a lot in the wet, not raced and will cover perhaps 4+ thousand miles a year then:okay:

Go for it:becool:

Thru axle would be better for you.
Maybe not, but having disk brakes is probably nice if you do find yourself in the wet and need something powerful. It seems that for some lighter riders this is not a common problem.

+1 for the custom frame option.

If I had £2000 to blow, and it was coming out of my pension lump sum I imagine it might be the last bike I ever bought, it should be special. Therefore I would go out and buy the best custom built reynolds 853 frame I could for the money. Steel is pretty durable, and simple to repair and given that pretty much everything else fitted to a bike is a consumable, that's where most of my money would go.

I would strip and swap parts from my current road bike until I had later saved up for a new groupset to fit to it, at which time, most of those parts could go back to their frame of origin. Very few parts couldn't be transferred across, most likely to be problematic are the BB, headset bearings and possibly the seat post, but you might be lucky with an off the peg frame that will take all of these. If it's a custom build you could even specify the frame deliberately so it takes all your existing components. You might need to hold back a little cash buy new bar tape, cables etc, but that's chump change.

Happy bike hunting.

Top Bottom