£20ish malt whisky............any good ones ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I got some good ideas from CC re' a £50 bottle..............ended up with Glen Morangie Quinta Ruba which was excellent.
So................for £20ish I tried LIDLs and Aldis own brand. They were both OKish....nothing special.
I believe there are some supermarket 'own brands' which are good..........but which ones????
I want smooth, light, slightly sweet.............NOT smokey/peaty.
Any suggestions ???

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Asda, Glenfiddich 12 year old single malt £25.
or if you fancy something a little different with the same end result,
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=Yateses
I have sampled a bottle or two over the years and can vouch for its potency and the hangovers that follow.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I got some good ideas from CC re' a £50 bottle..............ended up with Glen Morangie Quinta Ruba which was excellent.
So................for £20ish I tried LIDLs and Aldis own brand. They were both OKish....nothing special.
I believe there are some supermarket 'own brands' which are good..........but which ones????
I want smooth, light, slightly sweet.............NOT smokey/peaty.
Any suggestions ???
Jamesons + Ice for that kind of budget, sweet, very smooth, consistent and highly underrated in the UK.
Jura single malt comes up once in a while at silly-low prices in Tesco and is pretty OK.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
That budget highland park gear is niiiiice.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you can stretch your budget by a fiver to £25, most of the big supermarkets have Singleton on offer.
It's a fine drink, especially at that price.;)
Or you can get a bottle of Glenmorangie for a quid or two more if you shop around...

Levo-Lon

Guru
Steer clear of any Islay malts then, but you probably knew that.
Another vote for Highland Park (Orkney). Had a session on that on Wednesday - very pleasant, as was the Jura I drank in a couple of pubs where HP wasn't available.

nowt like a session after shifting a few hooky bikes eh @Brandane lol

jayonabike