£20ish malt whisky............any good ones ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Smell it and taste it neat.
Add a teaspoon of water.
Smell it and taste it again.

A small amout of water opens a good malt out.

(And remember folks the distillery added water at the bottling plant...)
The advice I was given is that.........over 40% strength then a few drops of water will bring the full flavours out. 40% may or may not be able to take water.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Now..........I read that so went to the local co-op. Couldn't see any so asked at the check out and was told she had never heard of it. Is there any particular name to it ?
"A bottle of your own brand single malt please" whilst pointing...

IMAG1662.jpg

Smell it and taste it neat.
Add a teaspoon of water.
Smell it and taste it again.

A small amout of water opens a good malt out.

(And remember folks the distillery added water at the bottling plant...)
Exactly what I do - didn't make it too clear in my OP I'm in the 'add water' camp.
I quite often drink decent rums the same way, Mountgay yesterday evening, mainly due to the lack of a malt in the house. If it's getting coke added to the supermarket brand will do. The supermarket rum also gets left laying around hand when my son is about - if he wants Mountgay he can buy his own.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
so now I'll commit heresy in the eyes of some....

Malt whisky is a drink not a religion. Drink it however you want. Straight up, on the rocks, with water, with coke, with ginger ale, with whatever the hell you like, make Manhattans with it, or whatever cocktails take your fancy, and shock! horror! serve them on the rocks.... I do. I might blanch at the idea of mixing a 25 year old single malt, but I might not, it depends on my mood and what the final drink is.

There are no rules. Drink scotch how YOU like it; and ignore the nobbers and the whisky snobs who tell you otherwise.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My local, reknowned for its whisky list, has 'Nikka from the Barrel" as its special whisky of the month @ 5.50 a shot. Normally 5 x that. Retails for about GBP35 for 50cl iirc.

51.4% proof and folk were drinking it neat this ,and moaning. More fool them as they are missing out. I just smiled; I've a full bottle on the dresser at home.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
so now I'll commit heresy in the eyes of some....

Malt whisky is a drink not a religion. Drink it however you want. Straight up, on the rocks, with water, with coke, with ginger ale, with whatever the hell you like, make Manhattans with it, or whatever cocktails take your fancy, and shock! horror! serve them on the rocks.... I do. I might blanch at the idea of mixing a 25 year old single malt, but I might not, it depends on my mood and what the final drink is.

There are no rules. Drink scotch how YOU like it; and ignore the nobbers and the whisky snobs who tell you otherwise.

unnamed.jpg

burning-heretic.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sheesh! xx(Try a nice Irish whiskey instead :thumbsup:
I frequently do. Powers is my fave mainstream whiskey, Green Spot and Red Breast usually have shelf space at home. TLH drinks Jamesons and very little else whiskey or whisky wise.

But I draw the line at the nouveau Scotch impersonators which I presume are produced for the plastic Paddy market in the States. Just because the west of Ireland has a lot of peat doesn't mean it has to end up in a glass of spirits.

Top Bottom