£20ish malt whisky............any good ones ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, for something a bit further west try Woodford Reserve Bourbon currently on offer at £25 in Sainsbury's. Got one on the go as I type, with ice. A really smooth drink. Big fan of single malts but tend not to add anything. Like HP and the Balvenie's, not a 'fiddich'' fan or of blended stuff. Although might rough it with White and MacKays if pushed, with water.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sainburys have some great deals on booze at present. I took the Big Dummy down and returned fully loaded. Tlh was amused to find that we still had spirits left over from last Christmas and was astounded that I'd checked this before setting off to shop.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
OK, for something a bit further west try Woodford Reserve Bourbon currently on offer at £25 in Sainsbury's. Got one on the go as I type, with ice. A really smooth drink. Big fan of single malts but tend not to add anything. Like HP and the Balvenie's, not a 'fiddich'' fan or of blended stuff. Although might rough it with White and MacKays if pushed, with water.
Try Blair Jarvie Nicol if you see it. Very high proportion of malts to grain. Great vfm.

Blends have their place; I blend my own now as grain whisky is cheap and readily available online. Secret recipe of course but mainly speyside and highland malts.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Can I also urge folk to break free of the tyranny of supermarket scotch. There are some amazing expression out there that don't, or very rarely, darken the shelves of supermarkets and duty-free shops.

Try Edradour, Tomatin &c, &c.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Can I also urge folk to break free of the tyranny of supermarket scotch. There are some amazing expression out there that don't, or very rarely, darken the shelves of supermarkets and duty-free shops.

Try Edradour, Tomatin &c, &c.
I mostly buy why whisky from mastersofmalt.com A fantastic range of every kind of whisky imaginable, prompt delivery and fantastic customer service. Thewhiskyexchange.com is also as good

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
so now I'll commit heresy in the eyes of some....

Malt whisky is a drink not a religion. Drink it however you want. Straight up, on the rocks, with water, with coke, with ginger ale, with whatever the hell you like, make Manhattans with it, or whatever cocktails take your fancy, and shock! horror! serve them on the rocks.... I do. I might blanch at the idea of mixing a 25 year old single malt, but I might not, it depends on my mood and what the final drink is.

There are no rules. Drink scotch how YOU like it; and ignore the nobbers and the whisky snobs who tell you otherwise.

I've been hosting a Chinese group last week in London and I gave them a few bottles of (relatively inexpensive) malt whisky as Xmas gifts. I know that when they take them home they will be mixed with coca cola.....or worst of all.....cold green tea

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Why when other whiskies agree with me very nicely, does anything from Glenfiddich ALWAYS give me a whacking headache ?

Just one measure is enough. It is not a hangover, more just a long-lasting dull ache in the brain.

U

User482

There are no rules. Drink scotch how YOU like it; and ignore the nobbers and the whisky snobs who tell you otherwise.

Well, sure. But if you want to add coke or ice to whisky then you might as well buy the cheap stuff, as you won't be able to tell the difference.

Tim Hall

so now I'll commit heresy in the eyes of some....

Malt whisky is a drink not a religion. Drink it however you want. Straight up, on the rocks, with water, with coke, with ginger ale, with whatever the hell you like, make Manhattans with it, or whatever cocktails take your fancy, and shock! horror! serve them on the rocks.... I do. I might blanch at the idea of mixing a 25 year old single malt, but I might not, it depends on my mood and what the final drink is.

See also The Underpants Rule

The Underpants Rule is simple: everyone is the boss of their own underpants so you get to choose for you and other people get to choose from them and it’s not your job to tell other people what to do. To illustrate, if you’re considering saying something that starts with

• People should
  • Everyone ought to
  • What people need to do
  • We should all
  • Nobody should
  • You shouldn’t
  • blah blah things that have to do with underpants that aren’t yours blah blah
then there is a 99.9% chance that you are about to break The Underpants Rule. The only “exception” to this for me is about Civil Rights because they are not to be voted on or conferred, they just are, therefore everybody needs to respect everybody else’s civil rights.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Went up to Dad's at the weekend and he was complaint about a whisky someone had given him for his birthday which he'd just got round to opening. He reckoned it was disgusting and I could have it I wanted it. He said he took a for to bed the other night and had to get up and take the empty glass out as he couldn't stand the smell.
So now I have a bottle of Lagavulin (my 2nd face). Hope someone buys him another for Christmas:becool:.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
This is my fave though.
image-home.jpg

Maybe someone will buy him some and he won't like that either.

I've been looking at Beckham's Haig Club adverts and thought about trying it but read some poor reviews. Anyone here tried it?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well, sure. But if you want to add coke or ice to whisky then you might as well buy the cheap stuff, as you won't be able to tell the difference.
Simply not true imo. If one can't tell a Lagavulin or Laphroig or Ardbeg on the rocks from an Oban or a Clynelish or a Blair Atholl one needs to seek medical assistance surely? ;)

I don't drink coke.

U

User482

Simply not true imo. If one can't tell a Lagavulin or Laphroig or Ardbeg on the rocks from an Oban or a Clynelish or a Blair Atholl one needs to seek medical assistance surely? ;)

I don't drink coke.

I did a taste test at the Talisker distillery - with ice, neat, and with water. Adding ice completely killed the flavour, whereas adding water improved it considerably.

I may well require medical assistance, but I'm fairly sure it's not because I can't tell the flavour of whisky with ice in it.

Top Bottom