£350 budget & Specialized Sirrus opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seyn

Hi All,

i dont want to say "i am newbie, what to buy", i am planning to buy my first bike this week, and after a research without any cycling background i found (299£)Specialized Sirrus 2011 Hybrid Bike(Large) that fits on my budget

i will cycle in London
this will be my firs bike
i will cycle 6(morning)+6(afternoon) =12 miles a day
route is not flat thera are small hills
i am 182cm 81Kg
i have a budget of £350 so it would be nice to buy something close to 300 so that i can save money for accesories

Questions:
1-What do you think about Specialized Sirrus 2011 Hybrid Bike(Large)
2-What other alternatives would you suggest , Why?

Thanks

jackthelad

sirrus is a great choice, and at the present price is a good bike to start with I have 1 myself ,there is other choices out there like trek etc but in my books the sirrus wins hand down at the £300 price range.But I think the sirrus sport is a better buy for the extra £50

OP
OP
S

seyn

Hi,

Thanks for replys, finally i find large size to test/buy, i will test today.

In terms of lock, to be honest i didnt findy any time to read&search.. i should read forum from now but it would be great to have any suggestions because i am working now and probably wont have enough time to decide until this afternoon

I dont know if i can find any LBS with this model and size, and of course this price

Norm

I bought one of those as my son's commuting steed 2 weeks ago, which is as much endorsement as I can give something. :biggrin:

That, big Abus D lock and little "be seen" lights came to just about bang on your budget.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I have the 2010 Sirrus Elite in XL, i'm a little bit taller then you ( a wee bit heavier too :sad:)
It's a great bike - I've had a few probs with it, on the front gears, but think that most prob just my luck to get the dodgy one of the bunch.
It handles well, the gears are fine now i've changed the ring, it's nice, light & speedy enough for me to keep up with my roadie bikes buddies, i've added a rack on the back & it can still fly along with a full load without handling being compromised

Radman

Was thinking of getting the sirrus sport xl this week as jackthelad commented for the extra £50

its well worth the extra,unfortunately evans cycles didnt have any sirrus in the shop so i will

have to try somewhere else.

Norm

Be careful with reports of and comparisons to other bikes in the Sirrus range. The frame of the base spec model is quite significantly different from those of Elite and higher spec, there's different frame material, different clearances for tyres... and different tyres.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the specs lower in the range have been downgraded this year to save money and negate the price rises everywhere else. Last year's sport was £500 list, bar ends, toeclips, zertz, and a lovely white frame :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

seyn

Hı All,

Thanks for suggestions, yesterday i buy and did my first 6 mile ride =)
As a beginner first impressions are great.

Thank you

Norm

Thanks for suggestions, yesterday i buy and did my first 6 mile ride =)
As a beginner first impressions are great.
For the first time in history, my son asked to go out for a bike ride as long as he can go on his new bike.

Once we've sorted out a few Infernals from the Burning Legion that is, of course. :biggrin:

mchunt

I bought one of these for my wife last month and she loves it (does 4x4 miles each day commuting).

I had to do a gear adjustment last week which gave me an excuse to ride it, a very nice ride for £350.

Top Bottom