£3k - What would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Getting to the nitty gritty in a bike claim and starting to look around for something new.

I keep getting drawn to the same bikes and am therefore looking for a bit of inspiration on what I may purchase next. I am ideally looking for a deal on a more expensive dream bike, but also happy to look at less expensive options at full price too. Will be solely for road use, as never go off road or on the trails.

I won’t taint responses with the bikes that I am currently eyeballing.

Feel free to post up suggestions on Road bikes, whether Aero, Lightweight or Endurance.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Almost certainly no help to you but I'd buy one of these

Fujin%20SL2%20Black.jpg

Challenge Fujin SL-II

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You’re right @FishFright, absolutely no use to me whatsoever...but very interesting to look at nonetheless. That chain routing is a proper feat of engineeering.

Might be worth starting a new thread about random out of the ordinary bikes perhaps.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I'd be looking at a new Ti, but then I'm not likely to have £3k to spend, so buy used bikes instead...
What do you like about Ti? Have always liked the look of them, but not considered buying as they are generally expensive.

My £3k came from a reasonably priced bike with numerous upgrades over a couple of years, rather than having a lump sum to spend initially.

fungalcycle

I would want to waste so much money to an ultralight frame and gear BUT with brass rims and hard solid rubber tires.
This would create enough inertia in flat or downhill to carry me up the next up hill without effort. I wouldn't use disks on such a machine as it is likely to shred the spokes and then I would be on the street with spikey hubs.
If you have ridden an old, 50s-60s heavy street bicycle, remember those with twin horizontal rails between seat post and head stem, with heavy steel rims and heavy tires, you know the feeling of momentum and inertia. They were like motorcycles without the engine, maybe even heavier built than some motorcycles. I was too small to pedal all the way, seating on the rails, and all I would do is half strokes and ratchet back. Once I gained enough speed there was nothing stopping me :smile:

PS My cousins who were 12-14y older had such bikes, and they had gone away and left them at grandma's house. The one was a female model, and although it would have been easier to ride I was too concerned riding a "woman's" bike, even though I was 11-12 :smile: So half pedaling was my macho thing. DUMB!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Really useful replies. Cheers.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
What do you like about Ti? Have always liked the look of them, but not considered buying as they are generally expensive.

My £3k came from a reasonably priced bike with numerous upgrades over a couple of years, rather than having a lump sum to spend initially.
Ask me in a few thousand miles time, just got my first one.

Top Bottom