£50 Fine for having bin stolen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A waste of time for the police and for the 'victim' - just needless bureaucracy and a box ticking exercise...
"My Bin has been stolen"
"£50 please OR Go to the police station/online spend time filling in forms then the police can spend time dealing with it - give you a magic number and then it will be 'free'"
Or another way of looking at it...

Go through the due process of reporting a crime correctly, so that the plod can improve their chances of doing a better job.

And help others, including local authorities, from having a problem in the future.

Alternatively, go on the internet, complain, do nothing about it and pay £50 for your apathy.

classic33

Leg End Member
Many council issued bins are already fitted with a chip - there were (apparently now shelved) plans to charge us all based on the amount of rubbish we were throwing out...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8550929.stm

So, in theory they already know which bin belongs to everyone.

:eek:
The contract changed hands after you got your bin. Previous contractor refused to supply that information to the new contractor.

Sandra6

Veteran
In my experience, that's not the case.
I've had three instances of bins being taken.
The first was before we got wheelie bins and I bought a metal bin, because the alternative was to put the many black bags in the yard where the children played, which didn't seem at all hygienic. I made the mistake of putting the bin out and it disappeared. The police pretty much asked what I expected to happen?!
Second instance was with a wheelie bin, on bin day it disappeared. I rang the council they said I'd have to pay to have it replaced. I was told by someone that if you reported it as a crime you got it free - you don't! - but the pcso did pop round. But by the time they turned up I found the bin, in the youth club's yard full of their rubbish! I took their rubbish out and brought the bin home after having strong words with them about taking other people's property.
Last time was in some way our fault.
We had two bins, one slightly smaller, we were granted the second bin after proving their were more than the average number of people in our household and that we adequately recycled. Youngest son was tasked with bringing in the bins, and mistakenly brought in two full size bins. Ours and one belonging to a neighbour. I returned the bin to the alleyway, and it was promptly collected by the unknown neighbour, but our bin was never returned. Council told me I'd have to pay for a replacement.
And trust me they don't take kindly to threats of dropping your rubbish on their doorstep either. Fortunately our bin men were reasonable sorts and were quite happy to take an extra bin bag or two after I had a friendly chat with them.
On the up side, since moving house, we've ended up with an extra bin. So it all evens out in the end.

Brains

Legendary Member
If he goes to the village of Weeley in Essex there is a van parked up in the lay-by on the edge of the village selling, what else could it be?, Weeley Bins!
(really!)

Brains

Legendary Member
After loosing a couple of bins we put foot high numbers on ours in sticky-back plastic over 10 years ago now, not lost one since.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/wheelie-bin-numbers

Drago

Legendary Member
They don't take kindly, eh? Wouldn't stop me doing it if their bin was stolen and they declined to replace it. In fact, I'd make sure the Daily Mail were tipped off beforehand of my plans.

Sandra6

Veteran
They don't take kindly, eh? Wouldn't stop me doing it if their bin was stolen and they declined to replace it. In fact, I'd make sure the Daily Mail were tipped off beforehand of my plans.
My dad once got so sick of kids from the nearby school dropping litter along the path near his house that he collected it all and dumped it on the desk of the headteacher - fortunately after I'd left the school!
They put new bins out within the month.

Top Bottom