£50 Fine for having bin stolen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's all rather genteel around here and nobody marks their wheely bins and there doesn't seem to be a problem

We recently got some new neighbours who had moved from a rather more....errr....unsalubrious area of Manchester. They've plastered their bins with massive house numbers. So it seems to have been a problem where they have moved from and that is their solution.

We all tut and tsk quietly about this, as is the British way

You mean, there are places where people don't put huge numbers on their bin?!

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
Some councils might do all that, but the last two I have had personal experience of haven't. The desperation to raise money and the cutting of corners are directly linked to lack of central government funding, which is an ideological matter as I'm sure you know.
I agree... I'm just saying that's the net result...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When they introduced wheelie bins around here they sent us one grey bin for three households (one house, three flats). I rang the council and explained that we ideally needed three bins and asked for two more to be delivered, and pointed out that i needed a green bin too. A couple of days later they delivered three grey bins, and the day after that another three came so there was seven wheelie bins in my small front yarden. I rang the council again to tell them that we now had four bins too many, but still hadn't been given a green bin. They came and collected four grey bins. That was ten years ago and i still haven't had a green bin, so the little garden waste i produce goes in the grey bins. I've had to reclaim one of my bins from the students next door on numerous occasions but am yet to actually have one stolen so no idea about the cost of replacement.... but I should have stashed the four bins and sold them at a discount to Twickie's pal. :okay:

A friend worked in a sheltered housing scheme in Fleetwood which got burgled. The robbers used their wheelie bins to transport the loot and the council wanted £70 per bin... I think they argued and got the replacement charge waved.

OP
OP
TwickenhamCyclist
Lots of councils allow you to use your own bins as long as they are compatible with the rubbish lorries... for example the London Borough of Bexley, Ealing Council, Mid Devon Council, Knowsley Council, West Lindsey Council, Wirral Council et al
Well the People's Republic of Hounslow sounds fun... my own council (Richmond) seem a little more chilled and down to earth...
As an aside, and going OT, I really notice a difference in the number of rules each council has in place - again, Richmond seems far more laid back. When my twins were young I took them swimming all the time. Thy could both swim like fish by 3 or 4 years old - very confident in the water. We normally went to our local pool in Richmond. It was closed one afternoon for a gala so we ventured into Hounslow - I was told I could only take one under five in OR two IF they were both kitted out in full body bouncy aids - I pointed out I was a trained lifeguard (to be fair, not up to date) and a qualified swimming teacher and that they could both do 100m in a deep pool with ease - but no - thems the rules - I asked if I could return with four non-swimmers who were five years old the next day and was told that would be perfectly fine...

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4798940, member: 45"]If it's a business disposal then the council will charge. And so they should.[/QUOTE]

Despite me being in the trade in this instance they are not, a neighbour asked me to get him them to cover some plants, he never did use them and I have ended up stuck with them.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4798988, member: 45"]Trip to the tip then?[/QUOTE]

just been there with some other rubbish and they will not take them.

Drago

Legendary Member
The tip was a nightmare when I had my pickup. They refused to let me unload my old bath because it was supposedly "a commercial vehicle", even though it was neither registered or being used as such. Meanwhile , he was busy arguing with me and dozens of others were dumping their illicit rubbish behind his back.

I drove out, parked on the road, and me and eldest daughter then carried the bath in by hand. He coughed and spluttered, but had no imagined lawful excuse to refuse.

And they wonder why so much crap gets fly tipped.

Top Bottom