£7600 dram of whisky was a fake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
comedy gold

Comedy iron pyrite, surely?

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I often find these types of stories interesting. I think there are two sides. I think it is all down to how that individual views money.

If a rich man earns money and wants to shout about it, he will buy expensive houses, cars, women etc - but make public shows of it - appearing pretentious and ridiculing and belittling others who cannot afford it - just being a pig about it.

But you get some people who may earn the same, but use their money wisely and/or donate to charities and causes etc, these people will automatically get the stereotype of the person above because everyone loves to judge and be negative - and when they turn out different, we herald them as a hero/heroine because they go against the stereotype - when really, they can do what they like with their money.

I mean on face value, it would appear ostentatious or pretentious or whatever you want to call it - but what @ianrauk said is correct, actually read the news story before jumping on the first class train to Stereotype Station.

petek

Über Member
So, if I understand correctly, technically he got a glass of 1970s whisky completely free. Smart guy.
Top marks to that hotel chap for flying out and refunding the guy's money.
We're used to paying top dollar for drinks round here, there's only the one pub.
:sad:

Is there really anyone here who wouldn't risk 0.06% of their 2016 income to experience something of great personal interest that they may never have the opportunity again to try. Sure, for most that won't be whisky older than your great great grandmother, but surely there's an extravagance equivalent for each of us? Mine would be whisky or cake related :smile:

Aside 1: he's such an flamboyant spender he takes his Nanna on a tour of Europe. What a wastrel!

Aside 2: if he'd gone for the better value for money of £20 drams, he'd be dead now. 380 shots of whisky would be lethal to anyone.

vickster

Legendary Member
Top marks to that hotel chap for flying out and refunding the guy's money.
We're used to paying top dollar for drinks round here, there's only the one pub.
:sad:
Be cheaper than Switzerland even for the cheap stuff ;)

Top Bottom