£7600 dram of whisky was a fake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well, i do love a goid dram and if i could afford it then i would splash out once in a blue moon for something that rare just to say that ive had it. Wouldn't be something id do every week though

swansonj

Guru
Is there really anyone here who wouldn't risk 0.06% of their 2016 income to experience something of great personal interest that they may never have the opportunity again to try.
now. ....
That's a valid and useful perspective but it's only part of the comparison. I'm guessing that my real-terms income has gone up ten fold from being a student to now. But my sense of what constitutes, for me, an unreasonably expensive drink or meal or item of clothing has not gone up by anything like that.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's a valid and useful perspective but it's only part of the comparison. I'm guessing that my real-terms income has gone up ten fold from being a student to now. But my sense of what constitutes, for me, an unreasonably expensive drink or meal or item of clothing has not gone up by anything like that.
Maybe it would if you earned £16m a year or whatever (ok, maybe you do) and thus £7600 is essentially inconsequential in financial terms

Has your net income after all living expenses also risen 10 fold?

There are some Napoleon Cognacs, in existence, that would make that fake crap, look lame. There’s a bar in Soho, that has an unbelievable array of such drinks available, as long as you have the 5000 quid a shot, on you. If you have that level of disposable income, why not do it?

You're missing my point. Don't think of it as a drink but an experience. What do you love? Planes? Then what would you pay to sit in on a take off an from aircraft carrier? Or copilot a spitfire? Formula 1? Then how much to get behind the wheel of a McLaren?

etc etc

swansonj

Guru
Maybe it would if you earned £16m a year or whatever (ok, maybe you do) and thus £7600 is essentially inconsequential in financial terms
The point I was trying to make is that we don't have to let our sense of what's expensive and what's inconsequential scale with our incomes.

In transitioning from student to just-starting-junior-employee to time-served-professional, my sense of expense - my lifestyle, I guess you'd say - has increased, but nothing like in proportion to my income. If my income were, hypothetically, to increase further, i daresay my lifestyle would also increase, but again, I hope, not in proportion.

Just because a £20 glass of my favourite drink or a £5k bike might now represent an affordable outlay, I would still see both as expensive and very difficult for me to justify to myself.

swansonj

Guru
You're missing my point. Don't think of it as a drink but an experience. What do you love? Planes? Then what would you pay to sit in on a take off an from aircraft carrier? Or copilot a spitfire? Formula 1? Then how much to get behind the wheel of a McLaren?

etc etc
I can tell you the answer for me: less than it would cost.

I would indeed absolutely love to fly in a Spitfire. I've looked up how much it would cost. I'm not paying that much.

I know someone who did rush out and pay for the experience when they became available. But he is someone who generally seems to have no problem buying what he wants from life. Me, I have too much of the nonconformist conscience in me, and I wouldn't enjoy something that I'd paid so much for.

Ymmv and good luck to you.

swansonj

Guru
Still missing the point : if you could do it for 0.06% of your annual salary, you wouldn't even stop to think about it.
I don't think you quite understand the malign power of a nonconformist conscience :smile:

Seriously, I'm not missing your point, I'm saying I don't think it's always true.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I spent over 20 years in the whisky ( not whiskey which is Irish ) industry. One common question was “ what is the best whisky ? “. The only answer was always. “ the whisky you like best “. Most people do not have a clue and could not distinguish between one whisky or another. The heavily peated Islay malts can be detected but I suspect they have been toned down a bit for a larger share of the market. Either that or my palate has got jaded over the years.
Basically what is being sold is a label and an image. The contents are irrelevant in most cases.

Top Bottom