£7600 dram of whisky was a fake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What would you spend a hours wages on?
A kebab?.......

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5025011, member: 259"]Stupidity knows no bounds.

Not on a nip of fake booze for a start.[/QUOTE]

He did not know it was fake when he bought it, I bet most of us spend an hours wages quite often on worse things.

swansonj

Guru
Funny thing is, he enjoyed it more when he thought it was worth £7,600, than when it was indeed almost worthless
There was a coffee thread running here recently, in which I voiced the opinion that at least some people were probably rating their coffee influenced at least partly by price and brand rather than taste.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Many people think that Rapha is far too expensive and people are ridiculed for it. It's the same thing.

Simple test of whether it's the same thing or not: if someone bought a Rapha jersey at full list price and it turned out to be a fake, would it be newsworthy?

A Rapha jersey might cost two or three times the price of a cheaper brand. Here we're talking about something costing probably a thousand times what most of us would pay for a glass of whisky. The scale is totally different. It's obscene.

I make no judgment or comment about this man personally or his reasons for paying £7,600 for a glass of whisky, but I am troubled by the ever-widening inequality gap that has created the circumstances where this story is even possible. But maybe I feel this way because I watched the Jacques Peretti thing on BBC2 about the super rich last night and it made me feel physically sick.

ETA: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xw4rw

Has nobody mentioned that whisky is vile?

You're not actually Scottish, are you? You'll be telling us next you don't even wear a kilt.

Last edited:
U

User482

I make no judgment or comment about this man personally or his reasons for paying £7,600 for a glass of whisky, but I am troubled by the ever-widening inequality gap that has created the circumstances where this story is even possible.

I agree with that, but at a personal level, I don't see why people are quite so exercised by someone wasting his cash on something that isn't doing any harm to anyone else. Of all the fripperies the super rich choose with their money, this has to be about the most benign.

I've "wasted" £30 on a dram on whisky before now, which is probably worth about the same to me as £7600 is to him.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
And everyone shoyld ride a halfords bso and dtive a Dacia whilst shopping at iceland and holidaying in a tent in blackpool.

Nope and dial back the melodrama a bit, if someone's mug enough to pay £7.6k for a sip of whisky that's their business. However the fact that anyone has the level of disposable income where not only does that seem like an idea it doesn't even make a dent. Well that is a more general concern - no-one just 'has' piles of money it has to be extracted. When greedy feckers take such big slices of the pie then society as a whole becomes poorer.

I'm sure this will be met with some disagreement but could we please forget claims around free markets as they don't exist and I'm tired of slapping down people that claim they do.

Top Bottom