£7600 dram of whisky was a fake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

If you too had earned $16.8m in one year would spending a few thousand even register?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
If you too had earned $16.8m in one year would spending a few thousand even register?
Spending a few thousand on a glass of whisky would register, unless I had lost all touch with prices outside my millionaire bubble. How much does a decent glass of whisky cost? £5? £10? £20? More if you're paying for swanky and exclusive surroundings, such as in a Swiss hotel? I honestly don't know where 'normal' pricing stops in these cases but £7600 is way outside that scale. And I hope my wealth wouldn't have caused me to completely lose my touch with normality.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Spending a few thousand on a glass of whisky would register, unless I had lost all touch with prices outside my millionaire bubble. How much does a decent glass of whisky cost? £5? £10? £20? More if you're paying for swanky and exclusive surroundings, such as in a Swiss hotel? I honestly don't know where 'normal' pricing stops in these cases but £7600 is way outside that scale. And I hope my wealth wouldn't have caused me to completely lose my touch with normality.

You'd have a whole new normality

We really should write to these multi millionaires and tell them what to spend their money on. Of course we should also get some of the world's poorest to tell us what to spend our money on.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
We really should write to these multi millionaires and tell them what to spend their money on. Of course we should also get some of the world's poorest to tell us what to spend our money on.

No we should not be telling anyone, rich or poor, how to spend their money. But we should be looking at why we have such incredibly unreasonable distribution of the stuff in the first place.

green1

Über Member
No we should not be telling anyone, rich or poor, how to spend their money. But we should be looking at why we have such incredibly unreasonable distribution of the stuff in the first place.
Well in his case it's because he writes stuff people are willing to pay to read.

Nothing else? no help from IP laws or anything?
Well, without laws, no one but robber barons would get rich. Laws allow me to open a bank account, and mostly allow my money to be safe there.

Without laws we'd all be defending our piles of gold against theft - if we someone how managed to acquire the gold in the first place.

I really don't know what you are saying. This author gets to sell the work he creates because of IP laws, the same as the law that allows a sculptor to sell his work rather than having it taken from her, and allows her to keep that money rather than being robbed of it because our laws ban and punish other theft as well.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well, without laws, no one but robber barons would get rich. Laws allow me to open a bank account, and mostly allow my money to be safe there.

Without laws we'd all be defending our piles of gold against theft - if we someone how managed to acquire the gold in the first place.

I really don't know what you are saying. This author gets to sell the work he creates because of IP laws, the same as the law that allows a sculptor to sell his work rather than having it taken from her, and allows her to keep that money rather than being robbed of it because our laws ban and punish other theft as well.

??????????????? I mentioned a specific law and you somehow extrapolate that I desire a lawless world?

I was responding to a post that was making the predictable claims about how it was earned and all his own work. I could have listed the many ways in which the system is set up to benefit a few but chose to highlight IP laws. With the subtext of my post being that no person is really as solo/self made as they claim.

How you arrived at your reading of my post I have no idea but it was a heck of a leap

Top Bottom