£87 Steak in a Pub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that statement stands up any more though. Historically you're right, but over the last c20 years or so things are very different IMHO.
I reckon you can go back further than that.

Prawn cocktail, steak and chips, followed by black forest gateau, all washed down with a bottle of blue nun at a Berni Inn. 😊

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that statement stands up any more though. Historically you're right, but over the last c20 years or so things are very different IMHO.

I can't recall if it was Raymond Blanc or Michel Roux who bemoaned the decline in quality of Bistro/Brasserie food in France. Saying the rise of the British Gastro Pub means it is now easier to eat out well in the UK than France.

I'm inclined to agree. The Smoking Ban was transformational for UK Pub Food - there are sub-fine-dining options everywhere at Pub Prices

Other respected commentators say the same about French standards.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-of-restaurants-lamentable-top-guide-la-liste

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Fair statement. Yeah, definitely much better. London is now regarded as a high end food paradise known for its wide range of fine dining.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
re: the high prices. I spoke to a friend of a friend a few years back who ran a Hotel Restaurant. He said they kept their prices high to attract the "right" sort of customer. His words: "if your menu is too affordable, you get any old riff raff in and they spoil the mood". I know richer people can be badly behaved as well, but in the main afluent people tend to respect food more, manners, etiquette etc. I've been in budget eateries before and idiot parents have let their children run around the tables and shout. It's not a nice atmosphere.

Regarding steaks though, I think if the meat is properly hung, prepared, cooked and seasoned, it can make far more difference than what cut or breed it is. I've had awful serloins from the supermarket which are killed and packed within 24 hours. Whereas I've had delicious cheaper cuts that have been hung for 28 days. I don't order steak when I'm out though, becasue I don't want to pay the inflated prices for something that to me is just another hunk of meat. It's a bit like champagne, diamonds etc. I'm not impressed by something just becasue it's expensive. In fact I don't have any expensive tastes that I know of! Maybe I'm just unrefined

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Champagne, I agree - don't like the 'biscuity' ones that are so lauded, our favourite (I mean like our everyday champagne :whistle: ) is nothing close to twenty quids.

Diamonds, yes, you're also mostly right, but having spent a few months on contract at the biggest in the trade, I saw that there is a discernible difference in the grades, if you look. But you have to look. Closely. With a loupe. Don't know about you, but I've never whipped one out to ogle a woman's engagement ring 😊

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Re cow. I do think the biggest determinant of flavour is simply marbling plus skilled cooking and resting. Give me well-marbled shorter-hung over 30+ day hung meat with no fat any day.

PK99

Legendary Member
Re cow. I do think the biggest determinant of flavour is simply marbling plus skilled cooking and resting. Give me well-marbled shorter-hung over 30+ day hung meat with no fat any day.

hence all the fuss about "USDA Prime "
and Waygu.....

1631100877356.png

Nibor

Bewildered
Ha!

By coincidence, I'm cooking Bistecca alla Fiorentina on the BBQ at Lunchtime today.
800g 2inch thick Cote de Boeuf from Lakedistrict Farmers. Marinating in the fridge overnight - garlic, lemon zest, olive oil, chilli flakes, oregano, fresh rosemary. Fierce direct heat to get a good crust, then indirect to finish. Bring it off at 55c internal temp and rest. Serving with Caponata and rocket salad.
I like to do reverse sear on the barbecue

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have eaten out at a very nice restaurant in Chicago. £87 for a steak would not get you too far. How about $220 for their most expensive steak, or if you are not too hungry $165 for a 5oz Wagyu. You would of course need to add any sides you want like chips, sweet corn etc, oh and don’t forget the 20% tip. https://mapleandash.com/menu/#

PK99

Legendary Member

From the article:

As Kerridge points out, he pays his staff a decent wage (not the norm in the hospitality industry) and the quality of the ingredients is exceptionally high. These things cost money. Another chef added: “If the notion of cheap labour is coming to an end, so will ‘cheap’ food. We can’t have it both ways.”

Good, I say!

Pay farmers the proper value for their produce, pay Hospitality a proper wage.

This is not profiteering it is proper business.

Personally, I put my money where my mouth is and tip generously in restaurants, and, on the very rare occasions I use a Deliveroo or similar, I add a cash tip when they deliver. - the wide-eyed response suggests to me that that is unusual.

Roll on when Hospitality pays a decent wage and tips are no longer a thing other than for exceptional above and beyond service.

PK99

Legendary Member
I have eaten out at a very nice restaurant in Chicago. £87 for a steak would not get you too far. How about $220 for their most expensive steak, or if you are not too hungry $165 for a 5oz Wagyu. You would of course need to add any sides you want like chips, sweet corn etc, oh and don’t forget the 20% tip. https://mapleandash.com/menu/#

yebbut, the $220 is for a 40oz Tomahawk!.... all their steaks are HUGE!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yebbut, the $220 is for a 40oz Tomahawk!.... all their steaks are HUGE!
indeed and would be ordered between 3 or 4 of you, maybe 3 is its "bone in" 40oz

similarly the 32oz bone in Rib eye is a good sharer for 2.

it would still be stuffed full of growth hormones though....:okay:

Top Bottom