£87 Steak in a Pub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the things I look forward to back there is the 'Spoons. Fri and Sat you can be pretty sure I'll be in what has become the meeting place for all the lads I know. Can be a bit noisy in there sometimes, packed with students at the start of term time. On one occasion a group of them just arrived and were stood near me at the bar. Looked like they were doing a pub crawl. In their group a lad who barely looked legal, was swaying about and clutching a pint pot he'd carried in there. He couldn't understand why the bar tender was objecting to this, and he had to reluctantly hand it over. Hope he learned some common sense at uni :laugh:

During the week I also pop in of a luchtime. Tue is steak club, and Thu curry club - yummy. Wed chicken club used to be good when they did half roast chicken, but was just chicken nuggets last time, so maybe having to cut corners to keep within a price range. A good while back Mon was Mexican food, but this had stopped too. My record there was six days in a row, either for drinks or food. I readily admit I'm not a fussy eater, any of the fancy offerings at the more exclusive places would be wasted on me :cheers:

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

1631003852257.png

Dovecote is not a breed, its a meat processor that supplies to Waitrose to Burger King. I won't be surprised that he intentionally put "Dovecoat"as a chuckle. He certainly knows his customers. Never seen a p[rice that high even in the best known steakhouse.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

One of the things I look forward to back there is the 'Spoons. Fri and Sat you can be pretty sure I'll be in what has become the meeting place for all the lads I know. Can be a bit noisy in there sometimes, packed with students at the start of term time. On one occasion a group of them just arrived and were stood near me at the bar. Looked like they were doing a pub crawl. In their group a lad who barely looked legal, was swaying about and clutching a pint pot he'd carried in there. He couldn't understand why the bar tender was objecting to this, and he had to reluctantly hand it over. Hope he learned some common sense at uni :laugh:

During the week I also pop in of a luchtime. Tue is steak club, and Thu curry club - yummy. Wed chicken club used to be good when they did half roast chicken, but was just chicken nuggets last time, so maybe having to cut corners to keep within a price range. A good while back Mon was Mexican food, but this had stopped too. My record there was six days in a row, either for drinks or food. I readily admit I'm not a fussy eater, any of the fancy offerings at the more exclusive places would be wasted on me :cheers:
I think Spoons has 2 establishments in Thailand for UK lads.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
£87 for a steak is almost reasonable when you consider that it’s £137 at The Polo Lounge on the roof of The Dorchester in Park Lane if you want to highlight over priced food. See my post and The Guardian report, https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-polo-lounge-on-the-roof-of-the-dorchester.278564/

Years ago I went to the roof restaurant of the Park Lane Hilton a couple of times.

Main motivation was the view, which depending where you were seated, could include the front, garden side of Buckingham Palace which you cannot see from the road.

When the hotel was being planned, word was the Queen or people at the palace were not happy because they knew it would overlook them.

The food, if I recall, was nice enough, but anything Michelin star poncy would be lost on me.

I did see Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy in there with a very young female companion.

That chimed in with a few stories which emerged later.

jayonabike