£97million Ferrari sold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Not a clue... probably originated from the concept of giving up moral code or conscience for personal advantage/ money.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I can't help thinking about all those people on The Apprentice. I don't watch it myself, but I've seen episodes at my sister's. Apparently, they are all terribly successful, thrusting young executives, but apparently can't organise the proverbial party in a brewery, or work in a team without biting each other to bits. Lots of money, apparently, but often less social skill and common sense than my nephews (who are 4 and 2)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Then again, looking at our bikes from a non-cycling point of view.......what sort of nutjob buys a bike for £1500?..(devils advocate purely).....carbon bikes....HOW MUCH??????:evil:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Then again, looking at our bikes from a non-cycling point of view.......what sort of nutjob buys a bike for £1500?..(devils advocate purely).....carbon bikes....HOW MUCH??????:evil:

It's a rather bigger gap though. Take a basic BSO (which may be unrideable within a year): £50. The £1500 bike is 30 times that.

Most basic car on the road (which should last longer than a year) is how much? 8 or 9 grand? 30 times that is only £270,000. As opposed to £22,000,000... 80 times as much....

Norm

It's a rather bigger gap though. Take a basic BSO (which may be unrideable within a year): £50. The £1500 bike is 30 times that.

Most basic car on the road (which should last longer than a year) is how much? 8 or 9 grand? 30 times that is only £270,000. As opposed to £22,000,000... 80 times as much....
Not quite comparing similar issues there, Arch, as a "standard" road Ferrari would be a very similar gap and retails at around £270k.

The prices under discussion here are being paid for something very different from a standard road car, though.

Maz

Guru
I see the green monster raining it's head again in this post.
'Monster'? I dunno. You could always respray it...
The%20world%27s%20most%20expensive%20car-420x0.jpg

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
BBC4 had a programme last week about the AC Cobra, the Daytona and the driver/team owner Carroll Shelby. I assume because Shelby died a couple of weeks back. The Cobra with a Ford engine had the beating of the GTO in the US ovals, the Daytona had the beating of the the GTO in Europe. I'm sure it will still be on iPlayer.

I am not that interested in cars, but the AC Cobra is the only one that I sometimes think "If I was really rich..." There is one I have seen a couple of times around Henley, probably the closest I will ever get to one.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
From one angle the object itself doesn't matter but the price and pricing mechanism do. Fantastic levels of wealth and disposable income are the drivers(excuse the pun) and the item that wealth is stored within is essentially useless to society. It will provide some small benefits via a knock on and trickle down effect, but far less than the value being stored.

If you consider the UK, as one of the wealthiest nations in the world, and extrapolate out income over a full working life of 50 years(this allows for the expected raising of pension ages). At the moment that would be around £1m, after tax, for the average person. Let's assume that they are extraordinarily prudent and frugal and only spend half of their money on living. To buy an item for £22m they would need to be able to live, and work, like this for 2200 years.

Put another way then we are talking about individuals being able to store thousands of years of labour in inanimate objects for their own amusement. At the same time as the rest of us are being directed into austerity for the greater good.

That's the obscenity.

screenman

Legendary Member
So should we all be equal, all get the same wage packet, live in the same box, ride the same bike?All regardless of how much effort you put in.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
So should we all be equal, all get the same wage packet, live in the same box, ride the same bike?All regardless of how much effort you put in.

That's not what MacB said. Everyone should be entitled to earn more if they work harder/longer/cleverer than the average man.

But I don't care how 'hard working' or 'clever' you are, there is no way that any man can be worth 22,000 times as much as the 'average' man who is working hard and struggling to get by, that is the obscenity of this, the super rich have an obscenely distorted view of their own self worth.

Top Bottom