“Slag heap” or a great tourist attraction?

What’s your opinion on it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It's very grey and that's about the only thing you can say about it. There are lots of grey places in Wales.

yello

Must admit, I can't quite see why. I'm sure it made sense to someone, somewhere, at some point... but I don't get it. I've no problems with creating tourist attractions but I don't know what this one offers. If you want to climb a hill that offers views of of London then there is Primrose Hill and Parliament Hill. Nope, doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: OK, I've just read there's an exhibition space planned inside of it. That makes a little more sense... a little.

Last edited:
We're really not averse to horrid building projects that actively detract from their surroundings in this country, are we?

This doesn't appear to add anything. At least other eyesores such as the Millennium Dome or my personal favourite white elephant, The Big Idea were attempts at regeneration of brownfield sites.

I simply don't get it.

Then again, I don't get the point of the Marble Arch or 19th century triumphal arches in general either. Bit gross to try to invoke the spirit of the Roman Empire imo.

Wasn't the Marble Arch originally meant to be a front for Buckingham Palace or something? Whatever happened to that?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Well if it wasn't in the area I wouldn't be bothered but I quite like the idea of views of Hyde Park and a new perspective of the Marble Arch.
Or more generally, I like things which are a bit weird. This certainly ticks that box.

£4.50 for a work lunchbreak sounds fair. Less than a pint of beer.

I enjoyed the Millennium Dome experience too (maybe I'm not so discerning)!

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Oh to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting when this idea was mooted. It might have gone something like this:

We need more attractions to bring tourists to London

These brilliant Dutch architects have suggested this, a mound of earth which people can climb and we can charge for, so that will offset the cost.

Fantastic, how much?

Only £2m

Where are we going to put it?

How about right next to Marble Arch on that roundabout? But might it not clash with or obscure the arch?

Great idea, who wants to see a pile of old stone blocks.

Khan is sure to love it.

I can see why 2 Dutch architects might be fascinated by the concept of hills. It must sound really exotic to have more than one contour line.

Well if it wasn't in the area I wouldn't be bothered but I quite like the idea of views of Hyde Park and a new perspective of the Marble Arch.
Or more generally, I like things which are a bit weird. This certainly ticks that box.

£4.50 for a work lunchbreak sounds fair. Less than a pint of beer.

I enjoyed the Millennium Dome experience too (maybe I'm not so discerning)!

At £4.50, it only needs about 5 people a minute, every minute, seven days of the week to start to make a profit. What's that, one person every 12 seconds? :okay:

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Apparently the idea was to get shoppers back into the area to “revitalise “ it. It’s adjacent to the once busy retail areas of Oxford St, Bond St and Regent St so the mound would hopefully pull people in. Doesn’t seem to have worked so far.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Apparently the idea was to get shoppers back into the area to “revitalise “ it. It’s adjacent to the once busy retail areas of Oxford St, Bond St and Regent St so the mound would hopefully pull people in. Doesn’t seem to have worked so far.

The solution seems obvious then. Build a Waitrose on top of it!

Funny thing I noticed is that people especially visitors will climb stairs, walk thru a maze that goes thru a gift shop etc. Even more if there is a fee.

After getting royally screwed by the World of Beatrix Porter in the Lake District nearly 18 years, never again. Or I thought. Sadly had to do same thing to see the Sistine Chapel.

Can't wait for St Peter (Rowan as we know him) to call out these operators on judgement day.

Top Bottom