“Slag heap” or a great tourist attraction?

What’s your opinion on it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oh to have been a fly on the wall at the meeting when this idea was mooted. It might have gone something like this:

We need more attractions to bring tourists to London

These brilliant Dutch architects have suggested this, a mound of earth which people can climb and we can charge for, so that will offset the cost.

Fantastic, how much?

Only £2m

Where are we going to put it?

How about right next to Marble Arch on that roundabout? But might it not clash with or obscure the arch?

Great idea, who wants to see a pile of old stone blocks.

Khan is sure to love it.
It's shite, obvs. It's also nothing to do with Khan, as DT has already pointed out. The leader of Westminster Council is a Tory called Rachel Robathan. You need to change the last option of your poll. Wouldn't want people thinking you had some kind of unhealthy Khan obsession.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's shite, obvs. It's also nothing to do with Khan, as DT has already pointed out. The leader of Westminster Council is a Tory called Rachel Robathan. You need to change the last option of your poll. Wouldn't want people thinking you had some kind of unhealthy Khan obsession.
But rather more healthy than having an obsession about Marxism :smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
But rather more healthy than having an obsession about Marxism :smile:
Take it up with that Cliche bloke who bangs on about imaginary Marxists all the time, then. :okay:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"Build it and they will a) not come and b) relentlessly take the p*ss out of it" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It is, imho, utter pants, and a poor show from idea to execution. Mind you, if I was there, and it cost me nowt, I'd definitely go up it, and maybe even temper my views a little. but it's still cr*p :okay:

This thread reminds me of the 'pile of bricks' artwork in the 80s ... the public resentment is astonishing sometimes, but everyone is allowed to have an opinion, that's the point.
The mound is temporary and allows views over Hyde Park. I'm cool with that ^_^
Edit* it was 1976.
What is he thinking?
a) mmmm, for farks sake, my 4 year old could have done that.
b) mmmm, nice buff brick, but a prefer a handmade red generally.
c) mmmmm, I must sort those wipers out on the Capri later.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
This thread reminds me of the 'pile of bricks' artwork in the 80s ... the public resentment is astonishing sometimes, but everyone is allowed to have an opinion, that's the point.
Edit* it was 1976.
What is he thinking?
a) mmmm, for farks sake, my 4 year old could have done that.
b) mmmm, nice buff brick, but a prefer a handmade red generally.
c) mmmmm, I must sort those wipers out on the Capri later.
View attachment 601708
And everyone is entitled to keep their money in the pocket, and it seems most are. Its biggest waste of money since Accy bought that traction engine for popping to the shops.

Why not ... walk round Hyde Park??
But no, I take your point about art and subjective opinions etc. I do feel that stuff inside a gallery can take more risks - public money spent on something that we HAVE to look at when walking past Narble Arch should get a bit more fore-thought!

Top Bottom