“Slag heap” or a great tourist attraction?

What’s your opinion on it?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's gonna be great for the public executions, when are they bringing them back?
Tyburn I suppose you mean.

Westminster Council knows nowt about bringing in the crowds.

In the 80s the nuns at the close by Tyburn Convent (partly there I think to commemorate catholic martyrs hung there) organised the world nun snooker championships.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-religion-nuns-playing-snooker-tyburn-convent-110477916.html

Stuff the Olympics, that would be worth watching/paying for.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
World nun snooker championships.
That's virgin on the ridiculous :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
you amaze me.
I trust you have no connection with this.
I'm pretty sure whoever thought this up is hiding somewhere.
Under a hill of shredded brainstorming ideas maybe.
Absolutely no connection with it at all.

Am now feeling slightly ashamed that I was rather excited at the announcement of a manmade hill in London.
It's fair to say the photos don't match my expectations, but I still like the idea of a viewing platform at Hyde Park. Similar to Winter Wonderland fairground rides but with less vomit.

People pay all the time to go up towers, follies, spires, domes, the Monument, the Orbit, the Eye, ziplines and Vie Ferrate, etc.

Absolutely no connection with it at all.

Am now feeling slightly ashamed that I was rather excited at the announcement of a manmade hill in London.
It's fair to say the photos don't match my expectations, but I still like the idea of a viewing platform at Hyde Park. Similar to Winter Wonderland fairground rides but with less vomit.

People pay all the time to go up towers, follies, spires, domes, the Monument, the Orbit, the Eye, ziplines and Vie Ferrate, etc.
I can recommend the view from the Horniman Gardens in Forest Hill, south east london.
Free.
And lots of other delights - great museum, wonderful gardens, cute animals.
The local listed spoons is good as well.

Coal mines don't produce slag heaps - at least not directly. Slag is the waste from smelting, so is produced by furnaces. If the product of the mines is used in a blast furnace then it could contribute to production of slag, but really its source is the metal ore in the furnace.
people possibly in their fearsome ignorance call them slagheaps though don't they?
I always have.

It's a reasonable confusion to make, but the technical term for the waste product from mines is called tailings - and is directly responsible for some of the worst environmental destruction and contamination on the planet. Coal tailings piles aren't great in this respect, but they pale into insignificance when compared to those operations where chemical extraction is involved e.g. gold mines and oil/tar sands.
</derail>

Mr Celine

Discordian
In Scotland they're called bings.

1627737881116.png

These are the Five Sisters bings near West Calder in West Lothian and are the tailings from oil shale mining.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Coal mines don't produce slag heaps - at least not directly. Slag is the waste from smelting, so is produced by furnaces. If the product of the mines is used in a blast furnace then it could contribute to production of slag, but really its source is the metal ore in the furnace.

I know you are technically correct, but, in our ignorance, we called them Slag heaps or pit heaps. ;) , all nicely landscaped into "Country Parks", or, "Colliery Woods", or, "Nature Reserves".

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
allows views over Hyde Park
Ah. It doesn't, according to someone who's been there. (https://thecritic.co.uk/marble-ah/). It appears to have been designed in winter, when the deciduous trees let light through.

I went around it on the bus yesterday. It's every bit as crap as you'd expect from the photos, and in a gentle London summer drizzle there was no-one visiting - except a fair few contractors still working on it.

Carl Andre's Equivalent VIII, on the other hand, is a delightfully calming piece of minimalist sculpture, and in the nearly 50 years it's been owned by the Tate has more than earned back the roughly £2,500 the nation paid for it.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I know you are technically correct, but, in our ignorance, we called them Slag heaps or pit heaps. ;) , all nicely landscaped into "Country Parks", or, "Colliery Woods", or, "Nature Reserves".
Same here. I grew up in a Yorkshire mining town and that was the term used.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Or maybe the council are fighting an unwinnable fight?
Selfridges almost right next to the mound is about to be sold, whether it will remain a retail shop is to be seen. A lot of the retail units around Bond Street/Regent Street and north of Oxford Street are empty.
I think it's a fair assumption that visitors to Marble Arch area will wander around the surrounding area but will they bring back the shops?

Top Bottom