€37,000 for a fall of the bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

Reading and comprehension isn't your strong point then? It says in the report that Bike Training Ireland Ltd accepted liability by withdrawing their defence.
They have to be insured? Therefore it was the insurance company that withdrew their defence. It's the insurance company that pays up.
Reading and comprehension isn't your strong point then?
Does talking down to people turn you on?

Drago

Legendary Member
Why not? You can get half a million for hurt feelings these days.

Must an insurance company pay out if the company decides it doesn't want to pursue it even if the insurance company knows they would win in court?

A bit like if a car smashed into me and it was decided that the other car was at fault, could I instruct MY car insurance to pay out because I didn't want to pursue it?

Reactions: SD1

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Did they? I doubt it.

That's how I read it. From the report: "... a defence denying liability had initially been entered by Bike Training Ireland Ltd but had been withdrawn".

Did they? I doubt it. If they did their insurance would be null and void. It's the insurance that accepted liability.

How can an insurance company have liability for the acts or omissions of the company being sued?

GC

KneesUp

Guru
"The prize for best competitor was a new bike.The court heard that almost as soon as she got on the bicycle she had fallen off it."

I don't think she was in with much of a chance of winning.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
"The prize for best competitor was a new bike.The court heard that almost as soon as she got on the bicycle she had fallen off it."

I don't think she was in with much of a chance of winning.

To be fair, she can now afford a whole stable of them.

TVC

I don't care about the date, I'd like 37,000 euros to spend on pies.
Living in London that would probably buy you two pies, but they would be nicely wrapped.

SD1

No. But the company would be liable to pay any award.
If their decision means the insurer declines to cover any award because they've breached the terms of their insurance then the company will have to find the money to pay the award from elsewhere.
Excuse my editing WHY WOULD THE COMPANY DO THAT. Zero logic.

Top Bottom