105 10spd levers - D.A. Front Derailleur with a Sram Apex C.Set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackgoff

I had a 105 front derailleur and it was shifting fine cept I wanted to go Dura Ace, so a while back I fitted one and the shifting has became TERRIBLE

I have to really push the shift lever to the right to get it to move onto the bigring!

I can't pull the cable thru any more as its over enough that allows it to drop down to the inner ring and have enough clearance for the big rear sprocket.

I don't have the 105 F.Derailleur to refit.

Can't work out why it's not working as well as the 105, like I know Shimano can be finicky on the speeds/set-up (now).. ;/

Should I think about getting a SRAM to use with the Apex C.Set - has anyone else done this and ja get a good shift ??

Any thoughts gladly accepted

boydj

Legendary Member
A new 105 shifter could be had for ~£20 or less - would be the simplest solution.

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

I don't know, 'reckon, even tho its 10 spd DA stuff just don't like 105 stuff...

Tho maybe I could try either the SRAM or a Campag. variant...??

Just can't work out why a 10 speed DA FD can't work with a 105 STi...

#weird

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's probably just a setup issue, but even if it's not, why are you considering SRAM or Campagnolo? Why not just another 105 which you know works?

Out of interest, why did you want to "go Dura-Ace" in the first place?

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

It's probably just a setup issue, but even if it's not, why are you considering SRAM or Campagnolo? Why not just another 105 which you know works?

Out of interest, why did you want to "go Dura-Ace" in the first place?

..because its a SRAM c.set.

The rear derailleur is DA.

Citius

Have you even tried adjusting the limit screws?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Should I think about getting a SRAM to use with the Apex C.Set - has anyone else done this and ja get a good shift ??
Ja have some spare money to throw at a problem which you can solve yourself with a bit of effort and patience? I don't think there's any evidence that SRAM FDs work better than DA FDs. The make of chainset is irrelevant. And if you get a SRAM FD to match your Apex chainset, it won't match your DA RD - which seems to have been your rationale for getting the DA FD in the first place.

Svendo

Guru
I've a funny feeling DA 7900 has different front derailleur ratios to other 10 speed components, and looking at this site (look at the 2012 compatibility chart for 7900 compatibility, and 2009 for 5600-7800-7900 compatibility), Shimano don't list it as compatible, unlike all other 10 speed components. That doesn't mean that further fettling may not enable that combination to work. There seems to be very little information on FD pull and actuation ratios, although due to variance in chain line they have a lot more adjustability than RDs.

Citius

Historically, all road front mechs have pulled 1:1, so they are all compatible. Not sure if 790 is different..

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

Ja have some spare money to throw at a problem which you can solve yourself with a bit of effort and patience? I don't think there's any evidence that SRAM FDs work better than DA FDs. The make of chainset is irrelevant. And if you get a SRAM FD to match your Apex chainset, it won't match your DA RD - which seems to have been your rationale for getting the DA FD in the first place.

Exactly but I've had a good shift from a Campy FD..yet not the DA FD #headslap!

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

Historically, all road front mechs have pulled 1:1, so they are all compatible. Not sure if 790 is different..

I can personally say that the 11 SPD fd's have a longer arm (where the cable attaches), yet the cage is narrower, than the 10 SPD variants.

Don't ya love Shimano eh ;/

Top Bottom