105 11 speed......anyone using them ?? any thoughts??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
:wahhey::wahhey:

Not exactly. The thread is all about 105 10 speed vs 11 speed and the cost of the kit was said to be more expensive. Therefore, very relevant. :wahhey:

Not really............my OP was that the bike I am looking at has 11 speed and I want to know if anyone has good/bad experience with it.

The pointless extra gear? The relative lack of wheel choice?
You mean the 18th, well would love one on my set up, as I hate the jump from 17-19, even having re-geared the from to make the 16-17 more like a 17-18 set-up, or do you mean the 25th, well I must admit I am thinking of getting a 12-23, besides 11sp fits my wheels.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The pointless extra gear? The relative lack of wheel choice?
The pointless extra gear? How well I remember that one when they upgraded from five to a massive six (And to seven, and eight, then nine.........).

Any lack of wheel choice will be very short term, no serious player dare miss out on sales by not offering 11 speed compatibility.

young Ed

Veteran
TBH i could quite happily cope on 3 or 5 speed but i only use most of my 27 or 30 (can't remember :sad: ) speeds because they are there and might as well spread the lube about and put a bit of wear through them all
Cheers Ed

simon.r

Person
I'm quite liking the idea of a 36/52 chainset paired with an 11 to 32 cassette. Almost the same range as a 30/39/52 paired with an 11 to 28 and a lower gear than a 34 chainring with a 28 rear, though obviously bigger jumps between gears.

In answer to the OP - 11 speed 105 is getting rave reviews and Shimano have been making 11 speed for a while now. I'm wary of buying the mark 1 of anything as too many manufacturers seem to have a habit of using the customer to test their latest products, then releasing a mark 2 that actually works, but Shimano seem to be the exception - I can't remember a bad Shimano product being released.

U

User6179

QUOTE="Smokin Joe, post: 3346857, member: 168"]Let's not forget either, Campag have been 11 speed for a long while now.[/QUOTE]

I think I read that campy and shimano 11 speed now work with eithers shifters , so you could buy campy freehub wheel with campy cassette on it while running Shimano groupset .

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I can't see the advantage of continually squeezing more sprockets onto a wheel. The wheel has to become more and more dished or the sprockets and chain become narrower. Narrower in my mind = weaker. I fitted one recently on a Canyon I was building for a friend. His choice - not mine! The Shimano chain snapped within 10 miles. Replaced with a KMC chain which seems to be working fine.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can't see the advantage of continually squeezing more sprockets onto a wheel. The wheel has to become more and more dished or the sprockets and chain become narrower. Narrower in my mind = weaker. I fitted one recently on a Canyon I was building for a friend. His choice - not mine! The Shimano chain snapped within 10 miles. Replaced with a KMC chain which seems to be working fine.
I've never known any difference in chain life anytime an extra sprocket has been added, I think that's largely a myth. And if a chain snaps something was wrong with it, it's nothing to do with how narrow it is.

We often kid ourselves that yesteryear's lower tech bikes were more reliable than those we have today because they were simpler. They weren't.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never known any difference in chain life anytime an extra sprocket has been added, I think that's largely a myth. And if a chain snaps something was wrong with it, it's nothing to do with how narrow it is.
That is my feeling too. Chains generally break at the side plates so I don't see why making the pins and rollers narrower should cause problems.

Try living somewhere a bit lumpier and the advantage of lots of gears would soon become apparent! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom