105 11 speed......anyone using them ?? any thoughts??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can see the time in the not too distant future when a 1x10 or 1x11 road group will be offered. All the gears are then discrete, narrow wide chainring to prevent drop, and death to the dreadful double\tripple mess we have right now. That extra gear will matter more then.
I spotted a cyclocross bike with that gear setup a couple of days ago - I think it was a 38 tooth ring and an 11 speed 11-32 cassette. It struck me as being an interesting idea. A 38/11 top gear would get me to about 25 mph before starting to spin out and a 38/32 bottom gear would be ok for a lot of climbs. I'd want a wider range of gears on my main bike, but it would be ok for my second bike.

pawl

Legendary Member
Although many (including me) will agree and would not pay to have them fitted to an existing bike you have little choice if the bike you want to purchase ahs them on.
I have 11speed ultegra compact and i love it My Ribble has 9 speed compact and find the gaps between small and outer ring to big .Much prefer my triple as the cassette ratios are closer 52 42 32 chainrings,the11speed11 28 50 34 chainrings seems more manageable

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I spotted a cyclocross bike with that gear setup a couple of days ago - I think it was a 38 tooth ring and an 11 speed 11-32 cassette. It struck me as being an interesting idea. A 38/11 top gear would get me to about 25 mph before starting to spin out and a 38/32 bottom gear would be ok for a lot of climbs. I'd want a wider range of gears on my main bike, but it would be ok for my second bike.
Yes , adverts in cycling mags atm flogging it .
https://www.sram.com/sram/road/family/sram-force-cx1

DaveS

Have been using a 1x9 for a while. 44 narrow/wide chainring with 11/30 cassette, 105 shifter/mech. 1x10 would be nice, 1x11 even better! No dropped chains BTW.
Will never go back to a double or triple chainring now.

DaveS

Living in Suffolk you'd hardly miss either, would you? Over here a ride without at least one 10% gradient is a dragstrip.
Oh yes, WHERE one rides is critical to gearing. I have plenty of steep hills near me but the thing is they are short, couple hundred yards maybe. Not exactly mountains then LOL. Am I lucky or underprivileged? Probably the latter . . .

HorTs

Über Member
I have last year's Ultegra so pretty much this year's 105. I have absolutely not problem with them, I don't give them any thought which is probably the best compliment I can give them - they just work everytime. Having said that I'm sure a 10 speed would behave much the same.

As a side point, it probably won't impact many people but, the 11 speeds don't come in triple.

I have last year's Ultegra so pretty much this year's 105. I have absolutely not problem with them, I don't give them any thought which is probably the best compliment I can give them - they just work everytime. Having said that I'm sure a 10 speed would behave much the same.

As a side point, it probably won't impact many people but, the 11 speeds don't come in triple.
Most of us that use triples already know this,;)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Actually, Campagnolo do a triple version of Athena...no Shimano/SRAM options though.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

And if the previous two posts weren't enough. There really is no such thing as trickle down effect in Shimano. The tech is the same but groupsets built to a price point are going to be made of different materials/eventual component weights, therefore 2013 Ultegra is not 2014 105

:smile:

And if the previous two posts weren't enough. There really is no such thing as trickle down effect in Shimano. The tech is the same but groupsets built to a price point are going to be made of different materials/eventual component weights, therefore 2013 Ultegra is not 2014 105

:smile:
I agree, but materials also become cheaper, with demand.

Top Bottom