12-25 cassette vs 13-26 cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnny5

I currently have an 8 speed 12-25 cassette on my bike with a double 53/39 on the front. I've recently been cycling a lot of big hills as I want to improve on my climbing. Will a new 13-26 cassette help just that tad bit or is it not worth it? I quite like sprinting on the flats too so will loosing the 12 for a 13 cog at the back jeperdise this too?

Thanks.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Right some approximate figures
39.4 inches to 107.1 inches on the 13-26 (V)
41 to 116 gear inches on the 12-25 (W).
A 28 goes down as 36.6

Crankarm

Guru
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Put your front chain ring and rear sprocket sizes in the above calculator and compare to your heart's content.

I have 8 spd Campag rear hub with sprockets 12-21 on my hybrid and recently purchased a new 13-26 set of 8 spd sprockets as I couldn't find individual 23T and 25T sprockets. I intend slipping on the 26 sprocket when I do touring in the Alps or Devil's staircase in Wales should I feel the need. But 12-21 is currently fine for me in flatish terrain. I have a triple chainset 53-42-30 up front as sometimes the load I carry can be heavy but very seldom use the 30T chain ring unless I drop down to it by mistake.

However on my road bike I ride with a Shimano Ultegra 53/39 double chain set with a 9 spd Ultegra 12-25 rear cassette. These is no hill I have not been able to get up :biggrin:.

So TBH I would have thought there would only be marginal gains going from 12-25 to 13-26 rear sprockets in climbing terms but you may also have different intervals between other sprockets and you will spin out at a slightly lower top speed having the 13 as your lowest ring. The Sheldon Brown calculator can also show your speeds in each combination of ring and sprocket.

Tynan

Veteran
I recently changed the rear from a 11-25 to a 12-26 (I think) with a 52 front and the 12 I get into one one downhill doing up to 34 mph so I suspect that 13 is going to cover you

Renard

I went from 12-23 to 13-26 (8spd) on my winter bike and its made a difference. My good bike is 12-25 (10spd). I'm not sure I notice any difference between the two on climbs although the advantage that the 26 bottom gear provides may be cancelled out by it being on a heavier bike. Overall I don't think that it will make a difference. I'm planning on doing the Bealach na ba challenge later on this year so will probably fit a 27 cassette for that though.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So much of it depends on what hills and fitness. If you are there or there about struggling in the bottom gear and doing big Peaks climbs it could make a fair bit of difference. OTOH I got the impression Johnny5 was a bit newcomer to all the serious stuff with a serious and properly structed training schedule so will probably improve a great deal anyway. So maybe in that context it is unnecessary.

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

Thanks for the feedback.

As Marinyork has noticed, I am a beginner and have plenty or room to improve, and if the 13-26 cassette isn't going to help too much then I'll just keep training and make my legs stronger instead...probably the cheaper and the better option.

Top Bottom