12 hour challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Wow! @totallyfixed get the bath salts out :smile: and the massage oils :laugh:

The good Dr. was still going like a train when I left at 2pm and I was glad to hear that the horrific head wind I faced for the 80k ride home didn't effect her performance in the final hours of the event.

Pleasure to meet up with Steve for a couple of hours and watch him perform his duties like a military operation and once again congrats to Dr.P.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Amazing result Helen! :biggrin:

Also really happy for Neil Skellern being part of the winning team of Swifties, he is without doubt the nicest bloke on the local time trialling scene! :smile:

dr_pink

Thanks all for the lovely messages! I'm really chuffed and very tired.

It was really hard as the wind really picked up during the day. I had quite a few bad patches and thought I had blown completely some time around 150-190 miles (can't remember when) - probably hadn't take enough food on - but then had a second wind after managing to eat a bit more, and passing 200 was a huge psychological boost - looked at the clock at that point and knew I could probably do 240 and perked up. In the 45 mins or so I really started to enjoy it and just went as hard as I could..

The good Dr. was still going like a train when I left at 2pm and I was glad to hear that the horrific head wind I faced for the 80k ride home didn't effect her performance in the final hours of the event.

Pleasure to meet up with Steve for a couple of hours and watch him perform his duties like a military operation and once again congrats to Dr.P.

Was lovely to see you @oldfatfool - you're right about @totallyfixed 's military operation - I think you took a photo of one of our slick bottle hand-ups?! I won't share the details of the 'pee stop' he arranged for me...

I can't really put into words just how proud I am as dr_pink was probably ranked 5th going into the race, so a brilliant result, not that I doubted her capabilities for a second. The really interesting thing was that she got stronger after 200 miles and actually looked to be coping with the horrendous headwind on the lumpiest part of the course better than just about anyone. A pity the wind picked up so much, really from around 10am and continued to gradually increase it seemed throughout the day, without the wind I am sure the total would have been well over 250 miles. As it was dr_pink averaged 20.6 mph for 247. 62 miles, bonkers, absolutely bonkers.
A huge thank you to @oldfatfool for taking the time to ride out and give his support, it certainly helped break up the 12 hours I spent running to various points on the course and having to respond to requests for food and drink such as "lucozade and sausage please"!. One has to be flexible.
According to our records keeper this could be the 10th furthest distance in 12 hrs by a female of all time. Wow.
To top it all I have won £1000. I bet dr_pink that within a week of doing this 12 hour she would want to do another one. Let me tell you she already wants to do another and go further :smile:. Mad or what.

:bravo:
Getting close to Berryl Burton's World Record!. Someone has got to break this some time in the near future, surely!
You would think so but it really goes to show what an extraordinary athlete she was. I actually had a long conversation with one of Beryl's rivals on Sunday who even beat her once, though she did admit Beryl was a bit under par on that day. I learnt a lot of interesting stuff that I haven't read anywhere before.
A lot of congratulations still coming in from some top people.
Thank God we are off on a nice restful 1000 mile cycling holiday next week :rolleyes:.

Top Bottom