12 hour challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done Dr Pink. Superb! Will your result merit a mention in the comic (Cycling Weekly)?
I will answer that as unsurprisingly she is in bed! A good question though, the sad fact is that throughout the history of that magazine, they have almost always given the top ten men but only the winning woman, nothing changes in the male dominated world of cycling. Incidentally dr_pink came 18th overall which puts her ride into perspective.
Cycling Weakly [intentional misspelling], comes out on Thursday so we will see, but Sportives will probably be the top stories :angry:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will answer that as unsurprisingly she is in bed! A good question though, the sad fact is that throughout the history of that magazine, they have almost always given the top ten men but only the winning woman, nothing changes in the male dominated world of cycling. Incidentally dr_pink came 18th overall which puts her ride into perspective.
Cycling Weakly [intentional misspelling], comes out on Thursday so we will see, but Sportives will probably be the top stories :angry:.
According to the results I saw, she was 16th overall, which is even better! :thumbsup:

According to the results I saw, she was 16th overall, which is even better! :thumbsup:
That was only provisional, 2 men had their distances corrected, this is quite usual in 12 hour tt's so unfortunately 18th it is, still not too shabby. I will try and find out how many women have ever gone further because some of the records will be by the same person.
You beat me to it!

Crankarm

Guru
Dr_p's result is just a wee bit humbling! :laugh:

I used to think that perhaps one perfect day I might just possibly manage 200 miles in 12 hours, but I suspect that will never happen now, and definitely not on a windy day. As for 247+ ... :eek:

Just a bit! It would take me several days maybe even a week and then some to ride 247 miles. I would have to go for a very long lie down after. Makes my 35-38 miles a day seem very lethargic. Chapeau to Dr_P !

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
May I ask some silly questions? :smile:
Are there prices involved in these races? Who gets them?
If yes, do they cover the training/transport/kit expenses?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Yes there are generally prizes/prize money. For nationals, generally no prize money is awarded, it is medals and the kudos. In open events, usually prize money, sometimes a trophy to the winner or some such. Club events, no prizes.

Usually to top few overall, top women, fastest team of 3 plus various vets or handicap prizes. Loads to be said about the allocation if prizes, esp with regards to gender.

The prize money generally is peanuts and would just about cover your entry and fuel if you are lucky and live quite close to where the race is held. For a distance race where nutritional requirements are high and racing tyres take a lot of wear (costing over £50 per tub and with lasting less than 1k miles, you can see how 100 mile/12HR/24HR TT's start costing you in this department), you are still racing at a massive loss. Equipment, coaching etc, not a chance prize money will make a dent in that.

Even sponsorship offers limited respite in terms of costs, you might get stuff, eg. Energy drinks sold to you at trade price in exchange for logos on kit, mentions on social media and submissions(pics, race reports etc) to the sponsors website for example. It helps but you are still spending.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Dr_p's result is just a wee bit humbling! :laugh:

I used to think that perhaps one perfect day I might just possibly manage 200 miles in 12 hours, but I suspect that will never happen now, and definitely not on a windy day. As for 247+ ... :eek:

I feel exactly the same.
I can knock out 100+ milers all day everyday, but 247? Not in a million years...

Robert's comprehensive answer is essentially correct except on this occasion the winning man and woman each received £50 and second place was £40, third £30. The ridiculous thing was that the men were awarded Gold, silver and bronze but the women only got gold and silver, no third place medal. Perhaps this highlights what we are up against.

Top Bottom