15C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, but why don't they (or footballers) use them when physical activity is at it's most intense, in the actual match?

A lot of them do these days. Most will wear a base layer under their shirt in cold conditions, and an increasing number are now wearing full leggings under their shorts/socks when it gets properly cold.

Google 'sinovial fluid' and you will never go out in the cold with bare legs again.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
A lot of them do these days. Most will wear a base layer under their shirt in cold conditions, and an increasing number are now wearing full leggings under their shorts/socks when it gets properly cold.

Are we talking about footie players? A lot? I honestly can't recall seeing a PL player in leggings, gloves yes, leggings, no. If there was the slightest a chance of injury through the non-wearing of leggings, then surely the financial implications for clubs would ensure their investments wore them? But they don't. I watched Bradford v Arsenal in -2/-4 last year and even the foreign team didn't wear them.

Oh, I have noticed Brazilian players in the Russian leagues wearing them.

Rugger players don't do any of that, obviously - coz dey iz well 'ard.

Never seen a RL player wearing leggings, it just wouldn't be possible.^_^

My niece is a physio, I will ask what her thoughts are.

beastie

Guru
Generally I wear shorts and a ss top with thin socks and vented shoes if it is hot. As the temp drops or wind chill takes effect I will
1 wear a gilet
2 add sleeves to said gilet
3 change mitts to full finger gloves
4 add over shoes or change to winter boots
5 change shorts for longs(roubaix)
6 add baselayer
7 add winter jacket, winter full finger gloves, buff,
8 winter boots with over shoes
9 buff for scarf, winter skull cap under helmet.
10 chemical toe warmers if doing long rides in sub zero temps.

I think time of exposure at low temperature makes a big difference. 1 hour at 5c need little to keep core temp up, but 5 hours at that temp is a world of pain if your toes are cold

Are we talking about footie players? A lot? I honestly can't recall seeing a PL player in leggings, gloves yes, leggings, no.

It's not uncommon - and there are a few pics around - I just found a few on google. Injury might be an issue, but I suspect it's more about maintaining body temp. On cold days, you will lose heat through any exposed skin, regardless of how 'warm' you feel. And on a bike, the windchill just magnifies that temperature loss.

Should be in bed getting some zeds in before riding up and down Mow Cop tomorrow, but, from a cyclist GP friend who confirmed what I have always done.
The knee joint is relatively poor in blood vessels, therefore supply at lower temperatures. At around 15C vasoconstriction begins which can cause damage to the joint. I can cycle in shorts quite happily and not really feel the cold in very low temperatures, but just because I don't feel the cold doesn't mean my knees are not suffering. I think we have this thread every year and I always say, look at the pros, their longs don't come off until around 17C, you get exceptions but this is usually because a race started when it was warmer and then turned cold.

uclown2002

Guru
ffs my central heating isn't even on yet and when it does it will be under 15C.

And there's me sitting here with shorts and tshirt on, causing untold damage to my knees.

Better go put on a few base layers, and long trousers, not forgetting the mandatory arm and knee warmers.

Reactions: 4F

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Always fun to hear "shorts at minus 10" from the well-blubbered.

My regime:

>18 C - shorts, short sleeve jersey, fingerless gloves, cotton cap, thin socks (above 24 C replace cotton cap with narrow/thin bandana as sweat absorber to prevent it running down glasses)

14-18 C - knee-warmers, arm-warmers or long-sleeve jersey, thin full-finger gloves, cotton cap, thicker socks

10-14 C - roubaix tights and jacket, long-sleeve base layer, thicker gloves, thin fleece hat, even thicker socks

3-10 C - winter (AirBlock) tights and jacket, thick long-sleeve base layer, even thicker gloves, thick fleece hat, thick socks and winter shoes

<3 C - thicker winter (AirPlus) tights and jacket, thick long-sleeve base layer, extremely thick gloves, thick fleece hat, neck-warmer, two pairs of socks and winter shoes (extra base layer and overshoes below 0 C; extra lower layer, waterproof rain jacket and helmet cover below -5 C)

The above is based on riding fairly hard to hard - if riding with someone significantly slower, I often default to the regime below the actual temperature as the muscles won't be generating sufficient heat to stay warm enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
14-18 C - knee-warmers, arm-warmers or long-sleeve jersey, thin full-finger gloves, cotton cap, thicker socks

Wow! For me that would be impossible, I'd be incredibly uncomfortable.............before I'd reached my garage. That is 58-64F, warm to very warm for me.

U

User6179

Always fun to hear "shorts at minus 10" from the well-blubbered.

My regime:

>18 C - shorts, short sleeve jersey, fingerless gloves, cotton cap, thin socks (above 24 C replace cotton cap with narrow/thin bandana as sweat absorber to prevent it running down glasses)

10-14 C - roubaix tights and jacket, long-sleeve base layer, thicker gloves, thin fleece hat, even thicker socks

3-10 C - winter (AirBlock) tights and jacket, thick long-sleeve base layer, even thicker gloves, thick fleece hat, thick socks and winter shoes

<3 C - thicker winter (AirPlus) tights and jacket, thick long-sleeve base layer, extremely thick gloves, thick fleece hat, neck-warmer, two pairs of socks and winter shoes (extra base layer and overshoes below 0 C; extra lower layer, waterproof rain jacket and helmet cover below -5 C)

The above is based on riding fairly hard to hard - if riding with someone significantly slower, I often default to the regime below the actual temperature as the muscles won't be generating sufficient heat to stay warm enough.

How many pairs of gloves do you own?:smile:

Top Bottom