15C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Depends on the wind chill, can be 15c outside and feel hot but sometimes especially if the winds from the north in the UK 15c can feel cold .
Once had a reading at work of 4c but the wind chill was showing minus 10 so temperature is not really a good example of how hot or cold it is going to feel in the colder months.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Yes Eddy windchill certainly makes a difference, but I am talking about 15c, an ambient temperature, without variables, of which the article in CA made no mention.

Brandane

Legendary Member
So what we have all learned here, is that people have different ideas of what is 'cold' and different needs when it comes to clothing for different conditions.
Someone should write a paper on this.

True, but I do think there is an element of bravado and "look at me" when it comes to lack of clothing in cold weather. Not cycling related, but what is it with school kids around here (mostly male) who insist on walking to and from school in pouring rain and freezing temperatures - with only a white shirt on the top half? :cold: Schools must be an awful lot warmer than when I went in the 70's.

Then there are the nobbers who go to the local supermarket in the depths of winter, and get out of their warm car to go into the shop - dressed in T shirt, shorts and flip flops! Judging by the shape of them, there is no way they have just left the gym. More like they are making a statement about their wealth and ability to keep their house tropically heated despite the cost (and waste) of doing so. It reminds me of the scum houses I used to have to visit professionally, where they would have the house like a greenhouse but have the windows OPEN, while the occupants wandered around bare chested and in shorts, in December. :wacko:

MisterStan

Label Required
True, but I do think there is an element of bravado and "look at me" when it comes to lack of clothing in cold weather. Not cycling related, but what is it with school kids around here (mostly male) who insist on walking to and from school in pouring rain and freezing temperatures - with only a white shirt on the top half? :cold: Schools must be an awful lot warmer than when I went in the 70's.

Then there are the nobbers who go to the local supermarket in the depths of winter, and get out of their warm car to go into the shop - dressed in T shirt, shorts and flip flops! Judging by the shape of them, there is no way they have just left the gym. More like they are making a statement about their wealth and ability to keep their house tropically heated despite the cost (and waste) of doing so. It reminds me of the scum houses I used to have to visit professionally, where they would have the house like a greenhouse but have the windows OPEN, while the occupants wandered around bare chested and in shorts, in December. :wacko:
I often do this, don't class myself as a nobber. I'm very warm blooded! I also don't have the heating set high, much to the Wife's chagrin.

OK, just to change tack a little. I am going out with a new group of riders early tomorrow morning. It is due to be 5 degrees but will then soon warm up to about 15/16. I am unsure what to wear. I was thinking shorts, base layer, ss jersey and arm warmers.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Shorts

Brandane

Legendary Member
OK, just to change tack a little. I am going out with a new group of riders early tomorrow morning. It is due to be 5 degrees but will then soon warm up to about 15/16. I am unsure what to wear. I was thinking shorts, base layer, ss jersey and arm warmers.

Bearing in mind votre location, this might be appropriate:

NRT_D300_20130728_20197_sm.jpg

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've read before that anything under 15c and you should cover the knees, not for muscles but for saving your knees, the fluid in the knees is key for movement and the cold changes how effective it is.
Not sure how much of a problem it is for cyclists, but for rugby players it's a common told fact by the trainers.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I've read before that anything under 15c and you should cover the knees, not for muscles but for saving your knees, the fluid in the knees is key for movement and the cold changes how effective it is.
Not sure how much of a problem it is for cyclists, but for rugby players it's a common told fact by the trainers.

Ok, but why don't they (or footballers) use them when physical activity is at it's most intense, in the actual match?

U

User6179

Yes Eddy windchill certainly makes a difference, but I am talking about 15c, an ambient temperature, without variables, of which the article in CA made no mention.

I run hot so 15c with no windchill would be no knee warmers for me , I wear shorts till it is under 10c .

Top Bottom