15C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
So you think wearing shorts, vest and flip flops in 3degC is sensible ?? Or maybe all these people are suffering from congenital analgesia ?
The only sense that comes into it is the heat receptors in the skin. Nothing else. It doesnt make people bad because they chose to wear shorts on a slightly chilly day.

The only sense that comes into it is the heat receptors in the skin. Nothing else. It doesnt make people bad because they chose to wear shorts on a slightly chilly day.

Now you're saying that 3-5degC is 'slightly chilly'....? Nobody said anybody was 'bad' by the way. I did say that anyone who goes out on their bike in shorts in 5deg is a chump - and I stand by what I said as it is my opinion. It might upset a few people, but I can cope with that.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Now you're saying that 3-5degC is 'slightly chilly'....? Nobody said anybody was 'bad' by the way. I did say that anyone who goes out on their bike in shorts in 5deg is a chump - and I stand by what I said as it is my opinion. It might upset a few people, but I can cope with that.

I'm a chump and you haven't upset me. 5deg is my cut-off though, below that and my Lidl leg warmers go on.
We've all got different tolerances to temperatures...

GC

Reactions: 4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Now you're saying that 3-5degC is 'slightly chilly'....? Nobody said it was 'bad' by the way. I did say that anyone who goes out on their bike in shorts in 5deg is a chump - and I stand by what I said as it is my opinion. It might upset a few people, but I can cope with that.

A would say that 3-5 deg rather than being "slightly chilly" is infact actually just "a bit nippy"

Here's my scale:-

+ 10 deg C Summers day Shorts

5 – 9 deg C Winters coming Shorts

3 – 5 deg C A bit nippy Shorts

2 – 3 deg C Slightly chilly Shorts, may look out my leg warmers for when it gets cold

0 – 2 deg C Winters here Should probably wear longs otherwise I will be called a chump

Zero and below - Feck that’s cold Longs

:sun:

djb1971

Legendary Member
You lot can wear mankinis for all I care. When I go out tonight I'll have roubaix 3/4s or roubaix longs on plus a merino base layer top.

It's 5* here now and the wind is howling so it's got to be much less than that with wind chill. I will be out midnight(ish) and it'll be freezing!

When you 'ard nuts are 70 and on zimmerframes I'll still have my knees :thumbsup:

snorri

Legendary Member
Blinkin' heck, it looks as if a thermometer is now an essential cycle accessory:sad:, what type do you guys recommend?
Now, let me see, should I fit it on my 'bars between my bell and my computer, or between my gps and my ashtray?:whistle:

(I thought this thread was getting a little too serious:smile:)

djb1971

Legendary Member
Blinkin' heck, it looks as if a thermometer is now an essential cycle accessory:sad:, what type do you guys recommend?
Now, let me see, should I fit it on my 'bars between my bell and my computer, or between my gps and my ashtray?:whistle:

(I thought this thread was getting a little too serious:smile:)

Where did you get the ashtray from?

Don't smoke but I can keep things like bolts and chain connectors in it :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Snorri, where you are, just go with the knee warmers year round :tongue:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
So what you are saying is that 'you must be right, because you know a lot about glue'..??

No, I did not say that, I said the opposite, I said people will feel "cold" at different temperatures........but not at 15c/60f. However, I do spend a lot of time outside in the 8-12c range, awaiting appropriate conditions, 15c would see me working in a vest and flip flops.

No, you said 15c, not 5c, are you sure you are not getting the temps muddled up? 5c would generally be accepted as cold, 15c warm.

Nobody said 15c was cold. Just that it was not warm enough to ride in shorts and short sleeves.

Davidc

Guru
Depends on the ride. If I'm riding continuously and so there's a load of waste heat from leg muscles then I put on trousers below about 10 deg, shorts above. If I'm using the bike for short transport trips then trousers from about 15deg down. If I'm going somewhere local where I need to be dressed properly then of course it's trousers, but if the temperature's above about 15 I have to slow down, otherwise they're stuck to my legs with sweat.

Never use knee warmers though.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Am I the only person who won't wear shorts below about 20C then? :whistle:

Never did like shorts, even when young and living in Jamaica!! Being gifted with skinny legs and knobbly knees might have had some influence on my dislike of shorts. :tongue:

Reactions: 4F

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Depends on weather/speed/time I'm likely to spend at a cafe stop, but generally 14 degrees is my dividing line between comfortable and cold, 14-5 degrees I wear 3/4 length bibs and long sleeved jerseys, Less than 5 degrees and then I need a jacket and full length bibs.

Top Bottom