18th birthday suggestions for a boy - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Chess-wise I have a nice set he's 'borrowed' - and since I don't play chess that's fine. I do want to get him something that'll last and he has a nice watch which he really does like, particularly as it's non-battery.

The Minecraft Convention would be interesting, although decent ear defenders would be needed. Good thought. He'd be going solo for the August one but could go to Northern Ireland in September alongside a family visit.

@Welsh wheels - he'll need a new laptop for university, but we're waiting to see the disability award as that may include one automatically.

@Heltor Chasca - he's got two cats he adopted from the RSPCA. His not mine, particularly the big nasty one that he isn't leaving behind when he moves out.

@Diogenes The Sarcastic - kissogram - erm ... not for an Aspie.

Meccanoids - would work for his 13yo brother if not him :okay:

Keep them coming ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Have you asked him? Perhaps saying 'if you had £X and could spend it on anything what would you want?'...

Yes, multiple times. He wants no party, a quiet family lunch and no particular presents. It's the challenge of having a son with Asperger's, who is equally delightful as he is frustrating.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My Dad got me one of these on my 18th:

victorinox-1.6703-explorer-red-swiss-army-knife.jpg

Absolutely fantastic bit of kit - lasts forever, does everything it does perfectly.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
How about a personalised wallet with an image carved into the leather of something that means something to him - I know someone who does lovely, durable work in quality leather to your personal design - cost only 60-80 quids or so. PM me if useful.

Reactions: C R

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Not such a milestone birthday, but my oldest is 16 on Monday. I bought her a really good 60 litre rucsac which should last the next couple of decades. Uni, Euro rail travel, sleepovers, backpacking round the works etc. I also got her a decent sleep mat.

And some German mint chocolate that she likes.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
My little 'un, on the right of the avatar, has a genetic condition which means she has ASD-like symptoms. She dislikes loud noise, parties, and all that attendant stuff associated with kid's birthdays.

Your lad is older; a nice family meal somewhere would probably be nice, where he can be made a fuss of by those he's most comfortable with, so he wouldn't feel awkward by venturing too far out of his comfortable zone. I'm sure a bit of research would turn up somewhere where the management and staff are sympathetic to special needs, and they'll arrange to make the environment as welcoming for him as possible.

I think a watch would be a nice gift, too. Perhaps a chronograph with some features to captivate him. My little 'un enjoys stuff with little surprises like that.

ETA: that Swiss Army Knife looks like a good idea, too.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Maybe a pony treck or some lessons (he’s obviously an animal lover) :okay:
Some stables have lovely quiet horses for beginners.
Or, if he’s going away to Uni, how about some professionally done family photographs of the whole gang, accompanied by a personal wee note from each family member. Something for him to take away and keep with him, also not too heavy to pack.

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes, multiple times. He wants no party, a quiet family lunch and no particular presents. It's the challenge of having a son with Asperger's, who is equally delightful as he is frustrating.

Would a beautiful or elegant location inspire him?

The view from the Shard, a country manor hotel or tea at the Langham?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

If that is what he wants ~ (genuinely not trying to be controversial) thats what he should have, I suspect it's more you the parent wanting to give (I would) ... keep it simple, as thats what he wants :smile:

Top Bottom