18th birthday suggestions for a boy - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My son isn't "aspie" but has other disorders (hate that word) which cause him difficulty with emotions and especially with peer relations. Parties and noise would definitely be out, but he adores spending special time with family.
So maybe consider an unusual family break to celebrate the birthday. Nat Trust have some interesting accommodation available. Near Lakes, mountains, sea, castle... somewhere different but v memorable?

U

User33236

Would he like a watch?

Something that he can keep and treasure as well as get use out of?
Not read all the posts in between but this.

I bought my son a watch for his 18th. Must admit though it inspired him to go on to buy more expensive ones!

midlife

Guru
My two eldest are 19 and 22. When they had their 18th it was just like any other birthday with things that they wanted rather than big party / very expensive keepsakes.

The magic of turning 18 or 21 seems to have largely gone. We got a pound coin for each year since birth (get ready to pay for years the royal mint didn't do many) and a 1oz gold ingot for 21st.

Julia9054

Guru
Do you mind me asking how much? Did it cost an arm, or was it more than that?
^_^ It was about £130.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I'm hunting for ideas for 18th birthday suggestions. My eldest isn't into bikes, doesn't want to drive, has few hobbies apart from chess, archery and the cinema. Oh, and Minecraft.

The challenge is he isn't into the latest clothes, partying, etc. He spends virtually nothing and we're stuck for ideas. He has Asperger's meaning he won't want anything too loud, public, etc.

Whilst we've not got a fortune I'd like to get him something that of meaning to him - so CC - what would you suggest? I've thought of a few things but would appreciate more ideas ...

Tin Pot

Guru
The engineering company where I did my apprenticeship in the early to mid 80's it was a weekly occurrence. I have photographs of my 17th with a kiss'o'gram with very little clothing on.

<shrug> Each to their own, but it sounds humiliating to me.

I can see the logic in prostitution, becoming a man and all that, but kissagrams seem to be about embarrassment.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My Dad got me one of these on my 18th:

View attachment 397059

Absolutely fantastic bit of kit - lasts forever, does everything it does perfectly.

Great idea. Ordered to go in the below:

Not such a milestone birthday, but my oldest is 16 on Monday. I bought her a really good 60 litre rucsac which should last the next couple of decades. Uni, Euro rail travel, sleepovers, backpacking round the works etc. I also got her a decent sleep mat.

Another great idea. Ordered and there'll be things in each pocket. There was a suggestion of a pen somewhere - a Cross pen is en route. Also a chocolate 18th pizza. And some Lego mini-figures of his family.

Your lad is older; a nice family meal somewhere would probably be nice, where he can be made a fuss of by those he's most comfortable with, so he wouldn't feel awkward by venturing too far out of his comfortable zone. I'm sure a bit of research would turn up somewhere where the management and staff are sympathetic to special needs, and they'll arrange to make the environment as welcoming for him as possible.

He's picked a quiet restaurant for a family lunch, no fuss, no balloons, no cake. Presents later after his archery session with a cake as well.

Depends on budget of course, but what about some gold/platinum or the like? As in solid gold sovereigns or bullion?

My parents have got him some; they're thinking along the same lines.

What about an Art set, you never know he may have a hidden talent.

He'll get a nice one for his university engineering course once we've figured out what's needed.

Thanks all. Things have been bought and should make a nice low-key 18th.

Last edited:
Top Bottom