1966 Dawes Debonair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just back from picking this very original Dawes Debonair up.

IMG_20180704_195232661.jpg

IMG_20180704_195239801.jpg

Previous owner told me a bit about it is owned from new by his best friend who lent it to him a long time ago unfortunately his best friend was killed in an accident and he became the owner.

IMG_20180704_201416781.jpg

He told me how he had ridden many a happy mile on it over the years but couldn't recollect the last time it was used .

Looks all original with some nice bits on it ie 32/40 hole wheel set , ideale type 43 record leather saddle , cocordinating blumell guards , milremo stem and a nice set of Dawes engraved bars .

Zs6974 stamped on the r/h rear dropout .

IMG_20180704_201413765.jpg

After a quick wet wipe down .

IMG_20180704_195355158.jpg

Might need some tyre's

nonowt

Über Member
Nice - full of character. Interesting that it has an Ideale saddle rather than a Brooks or one of the other Midlands saddle makes.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just had a message from the gent i picked this up from and he last used it seriously in 1975 so it's been dormant since

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's a pretty long down time. What are you going to do with it Martin?

Thanks @Cycleops At the moment not a lot as too many others require attention , but thoughts are swap wheels & tyres from another 27" wheeled bike strip and clean out bottom bracket and headset bearings and then rebuild with new cables so it's ready for some winter bike action but as always plans can be fluid as its worth more in parts than total bike but against that in general

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Previous owner told me a bit about it is owned from new by his best friend who lent it to him a long time ago unfortunately his best friend was killed in an accident and he became the owner.

Sad that the original owner didn't live to enjoy it. Looks like a nice period machine to me, typically understated and not too flashy. Would be a shame to take it apart and use it as parts, seeing as it has a known history and hasn't been messed around with. There are plenty of horribly mongrelised secondhand bikes out there to cannibalise for parts. I tend to take the view that if you are lucky enough to own something that is 30/40/50+ years old and is still largely how it should be after all that time, it should be looked after and only sympathetic modifications made.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@SkipdiverJohn it certainly was , and when i picked it up it was all getting a bit emotional for the old boy .

Must admit my trail of thought at the moment is to give it a wipe down swap the wheels over for another pr and give it a ride and then do other the other work as i go along and i totally agree re breaking old bikes up for bits

Top Bottom