1989 Peugeot skip find restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex11

That's pretty damn good I think! It's a beautiful finish. Spend £130 ish on a new SS bike and it wouldn't get you anything

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thanks for the comments. I've never brush painted a frame before but pleased enough with how it came out - at least for commuting duties.

The bike was in a local council recycling centre. I always have a look in the metal skip if I'm dropping anything off there and on seeing this, offered one of the workers a tenner for it once he'd fished it out. He did ask if I wouldn't prefer the garishly decalled, full suspension supermarket mountain bike that was also in there...

In Erskine??!! I'll need to get along to mine just outside Dumbarton then, but.... where in Erskine? :laugh:

Well done by the way!

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm pleased with the results so far and once I've added guards and a rack, I can see this one becoming my main commuting bike, at least during bad weather (so most of the time then!). It's certainly more comfortable than my Allez and more adaptable than my fixed gear.

It did work out pretty cheap but I re-used old parts either from this bike or that I had lying around where possible (for the most part... the new aero brake levers were arguably an unnecessary "extravagance"). Anyone who has owned and upgraded a few old bikes over the years will likely have a similar spare parts bin. Also it was always intended as a hack commuting bike that I wouldn't mind taking the knocks that this entails so I was happy to settle for cheap, low quality wheels and the brush painted frame that may not look as nice as powder coating or a professional job but which would be much easier to touch up in future when it inevitably requires it. I wouldn't have taken the same approach with a classic bike that I wanted to restore and keep as my "nice" bike.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
In Erskine??!! I'll need to get along to mine just outside Dumbarton then, but.... where in Erskine? :laugh:
http://goo.gl/maps/s2gj7

When you get your nice 531 frame, we can discuss my finders fee off the public forums ^_^

I sometimes ride out to Dumbarton and back - a nice 20 mile trip. The cycle track there past Bowling was an unexpected treat in mostly ned and glass free, smooth tarmac through quiet woodland.

Enid Agnus Dei

Very nice restore, she looks well, look after her.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
http://goo.gl/maps/s2gj7

When you get your nice 531 frame, we can discuss my finders fee off the public forums ^_^

Oh yes I know that curving road round towards Inchinnan..... I got puncture somewhere round there once!

I'll let you know by the way...... maybe ha ha!

I sometimes ride out to Dumbarton and back - a nice 20 mile trip. The cycle track there past Bowling was an unexpected treat in mostly ned and glass free, smooth tarmac through quiet woodland.

Yes I recommend that bit of the Cycletrack between Bowling and Dumbarton, and the snobs just look at me sideways :rolleyes: That said, the bit between Bowling and Clydebank is crap for skinny tyres, and I often take the road instead, so you can't win :laugh:

Incidentally, the dump near to me is close to the path towards Balloch, near to where the cows are.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I can't get the map thing to come up with the new location for the local dump, but if you go on the Cycletrack to Balloch (it runs next to the River Leven and is called Woodyard Road on the map), when you get to the overbridge with the A82, you will see a road that forks off the A82 to your left and joins with Renton Road to.... well, Renton. Well, there is a path up to the A82 at that bridge and is only a short distance from where the road forks off. As you come down this road off the A82, you cross over the railway and past the farm and the dump is there at the junction to your right, you can't miss it really.

Alternately AND PROBABLY SAFER, just take Renton Road from the junction at Dalreoch railway station. Basically, it is between Dalreoch station (Dumbarton) and Renton, but the dump is before it, the railway and the cycletrack run under the A82, if that makes sense.

If looking at it on the map provided, it is next to what looks like a large white silo.

Hope that makes sense!

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
Yes I recommend that bit of the Cycletrack between Bowling and Dumbarton, and the snobs just look at me sideways :rolleyes: That said, the bit between Bowling and Clydebank is crap for skinny tyres, and I often take the road instead, so you can't win :laugh:
Totally agree. My scenic (ok, "longer" would be a better description than "scenic") route to work is over Erskine Bridge then into Glasgow via Clydebank and the cycle track (I normally go direct through Renfrew). I always use the road between Old Kilpatrick and Clydebank but normally jump onto the track after that - which isn't much better. Probably why I managed to get a p###ture coming back through there on Friday night... in the middle of a torrential rain shower and on one of my bikes that doesn't have mudguards, typically.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
but normally jump onto the track after that - which isn't much better. Probably why I managed to get a p###ture coming back through there on Friday night... in the middle of a torrential rain shower and on one of my bikes that doesn't have mudguards, typically.

What one? You will be aware that the path beside the canal going towards Glasgow via Maryhill, etc, is the crappy tightly packed stone, but I have rarely had trouble with the paved southern route through Yoker etc despite what people say about broken glass. Heck I even flew along there in pitch darkness at high speed one night on my way home! :blush:

I still stand by my statement that about 99% of all the punctures I have ever had have been on the roads.

Top Bottom