1989 Peugeot skip find restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
Excuse me for asking but how do you add photos?
You need to have your photos hosted online somewhere and then link to these from your post. I use flickr but there are lots of other options like photobucket or imageshack. These should all provide you with a link you can copy and paste directly into forum posts.

HovR

Über Member
Hi Teutcher, really nice restoration job.

Do you mind me asking where you got those wheels, and how much they cost? I'm in the market for some cheap wheels at the moment.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
Just by way of completing the story, as I liked the ride of this bike so much, I went ahead and finished whatever else was necessary to complete it for its intended role as my main commuter. I added crud roadracer mudguards (I had them available and they left the rear braze ons for the rack), a new pannier rack, some old SPD pedals and finally new tyres that were thinner, to be accomodated by the mudguards (700x25 Vittoria Rubinos).

The (totally) finished bike, half way to work this morning:
7836880544_8e8b80b3be_z.jpg

Herbie

Veteran
l
At the weekend I finished a project road bike that I'd found in a local skip. This was it as I found it. Knackered steel wheels, missing chain and saddle and needing a general tidy up. I'd never heard of the brand (Fuzion) but on the plus side, I'd been on the lookout for a winter commuting bike and it was just the size I was looking for. I decided that if I could get the stem and seatpost out, I'd give fixing it a go.
7334215578_5c00bdf4e6_z.jpg
It all came apart easily but I still had no idea what it was until I started rubbing down the paintwork to redo it in black hammerite (easier to touch up the inevitable scrapes from commuting use and abuse than a spray paint job and it wasn't worth anything more elaborate).

7344542146_2fe84c8a1c_z.jpg
I've been able to identify it as a 1989 Peugeot Le Tour. It has a low end Carbolite frame and components but will do the job I'm asking of it fine.

The finished bike.
7632076674_8621aa3272_z.jpg
Here's what I used on it:
Original parts retained:
Peugeot carbolite frame and forks (repainted in black smooth Hammerite I had lying around)
stem and handlebars
headset
seat post
CLB brake calipers
crankset
bottom bracket
Sachs-Huret front derailleur
Sachs-Huret downtube shifters

New replacement parts:
wheels (cheap Weinmann alloy rims on even cheaper hubs)
6 speed freewheel
Tektro brake levers
Chain
Brake and gear cables
Brake blocks
Bar tape

Parts bin or 2nd hand replacement parts:
Schwalbe marathon plus tyres (parts bin)
San Marco Rolls saddle (parts bin)
MKS pedals with metal toe clips (parts bin)
Shimano 600 rear derailleur (eBay)

I've done about 40 miles on it this week so far and it's a nice, comfortable ride. First time using downtube shifters for a few years but that's quickly becoming second nature again once I got myself out of the habit of trying to shift using brifters.

Mudguards and a rack will hopefully be next to finish it off for its intended purpose.

I've documented the build with photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pete_johnson/sets/72157630064599954/with/7632076674/

Looks fab...great job :thumbsup:

lnsbulle

l

Looks fab...great job :thumbsup:
This Peugeot looks really good, congratulations. I am trying to find a good Peugeot frame turn into a fixed wheel bike. Have you any idea about which are the best quality frames from Peugeot? I have heard that Carbolite tend to be less good than some of their others. I wonder what I should look for?

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
This Peugeot looks really good, congratulations. I am trying to find a good Peugeot frame turn into a fixed wheel bike. Have you any idea about which are the best quality frames from Peugeot? I have heard that Carbolite tend to be less good than some of their others. I wonder what I should look for?
Personally, I'm beginning to wonder just how much difference the grade of steel used in the frame really makes in the real world. There are other frame materials (or at least stickers) that may get you more prestige and may save you a few hundred grams but is it really worth passing up otherwise decent frames for?

Worry instead about getting a frame that fits you. I've had no problems with this carbolite frame - it's now my main daily bike and I'm loving it (a much nicer ride than my alu frame / carbon fork Allez for example). My fixed gear has a Reynolds 520 frame and it's not noticeably better or worse than the Carbolite once you're in the saddle.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I found losing weight from around my middle was cheaper and just as effective as buying lighter steel.

Seriously, I've got bikes built from HLE, 531 (main tubes only), 531c, Columbus Thron and something very light but unknown and find that being 43 years old and fond of beer affects the ride and my performance more than the type of steel.

"If you can't ride the steel you love, love the steel you ride!"

Cavalol

Guru
That's brilliant. I'd imagine the Hammerite as well as adding some rust proofing qualities will also be very hard wearing. In my humble opinion what it looks like from 5 (or indeed 50) yards is irrelevant as it's obviously wasn't (re)built as a show queen.
How are those cheap wheels by the way, any problems so far and do they look like they'll hold up for a good few miles?

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
That's brilliant. I'd imagine the Hammerite as well as adding some rust proofing qualities will also be very hard wearing. In my humble opinion what it looks like from 5 (or indeed 50) yards is irrelevant as it's obviously wasn't (re)built as a show queen.
Thanks. The Hammerite seems to be holding up really well apart from being quite chipped on the chainstay where I really should have put some sort of protector. Think I'll touch it up over the Christmas break and put a protector of some sort on then (either helicopter tape or an old inner tube). The ability to easily touch up any dings was part of the attraction of Hammerite.

How are those cheap wheels by the way, any problems so far and do they look like they'll hold up for a good few miles?
After probably about 1500 miles, The wheels are nowhere as shiny as in the above pics though they clean up fine when I put the time in. This time of year, they're filthy again within a few days. Importantly, they are still true despite being subjected to some pretty rough roads now and then. The real test will be how they are after the next few months of winter riding.

Cavalol

Guru
Great job! I asked about the wheels as I'm considering some for 'one of the fleet' and I'm too tight to buy decent ones! 1500 miles seems quite good to me, hopefully the winter months won't wreck them for you.
Like the idea of an old innertube to protect the chainstay/s, if you don't mind I'll pinch that tip for my modern bikes!

Top Bottom