1989 Peugeot skip find restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
What one? You will be aware that the path beside the canal going towards Glasgow via Maryhill, etc, is the crappy tightly packed stone, but I have rarely had trouble with the paved southern route through Yoker etc despite what people say about broken glass. Heck I even flew along there in pitch darkness at high speed one night on my way home! :blush:

I still stand by my statement that about 99% of all the punctures I have ever had have been on the roads.

I'll agree that 99% of my punctures are also on the road... but then 99% of my riding is on the road so that equates.

I also take the route through Yoker - it's not bad apart from the tree roots in places. The two puctures I've had in that area have been near where the two routes meet (where the big metal bike sculpture and the "floating chip shop" are). I suspect the problem is the link path between the Southern route and the canal. Maybe I should accept that there's little point saving 3 minutes waiting at the lights to cross Dumbarton Road by taking the signposted cycle route through the underpass if half the time that results in a puncture!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'll agree that 99% of my punctures are also on the road... but then 99% of my riding is on the road so that equates.

I ride on the cycletracks when I can, so it is the opposite for me. I genuinely have had 99% of my punctures happen on the road!

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
Oh bloody hell, are you all telling me that I've inspired a resurgence of hammerite painted old 80s road bike restorations? Buy a knackered project bike now before the prices skyrocket!

*** Disclaimer *** Photos always make things look shiny. The hammerite looks fine from a few paces and is perfect for what I want this bike for but you wouldn't want to paint your "Sunday Best" bike with it.

On saying that, the more I ride this bike the more I like it. I've now fitted mudguards (crud roadracers as I had them lying around and it saves the eyelets for the rack), faster tyres and a new pannier rack arrived for it this morning. It's now becoming my main commuting bike.

Alex11

Oh bloody hell, are you all telling me that I've inspired a resurgence of hammerite painted old 80s road bike restorations? Buy a knackered project bike now before the prices skyrocket!

I've done my old Dawes racer project in Hammerite and it's not bad at all. There are a few places where it is a little bumpy but mainly they aren't visible. It looks a dream for about 5 feet away!

Alex11

Glad it turned out for you, Alex. Still waiting for the photos!

I'm putting the bike back together today, I'll post before and after pics later

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
100% of mine have involved tyres. I've tried levitation; if only off-road cycling meant what it said.
I've also tried the levitation approach. All that happened was the punctures I may have received to my tyres were instead transferred to my knees and palms immediately following the (brief) period of levitation. Instant karma, I think it's called.

I stopped trying to ride my Grifter like a BMX after that.

Bodhbh

Guru
Single colour paint job up here in Glasgow iv had a price of 55 but I suppose it depends where u are , no doubt a fancy place in London is dearer

I had powdercoating done for 30quid in Watford, second time I asked for a quote it was 45. I suspect neither went thru the books tho. As that includes the sandblasting, it's probably a no brainer to just take it to a powdercoater if you can get those prices.

Nice job btw.

Top Bottom