1st day of Autumn .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
You can put your summer gear away now and get your coats and umbrellas out, it will only get worse for the next few months.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No here. Absolutely glorious in London this morning with rising temperatures. Sunday weather is predicted a sunny 24°. Gorgeous cycling weather.

U

User482

[QUOTE 4966619, member: 9609"]it don't officially start till the sun crosses the equator at 23:02 BST tonight - so really its last day of summer today, and it looks like it too with warm sunshine and blue skies.[/QUOTE]
The last day of summer was 31st August...

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
No here. Absolutely glorious in London this morning with rising temperatures. Sunday weather is predicted a sunny 24°. Gorgeous cycling weather.

Sunshine everywhere but still a little chilly. Im in shorts and a short sleeve jersey

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I had that lovely paradox of being cold and hot at the same time. My jacket made me hot, so I was sweating, and the sweat was damn near freezing on my face.
Oh, and we have fog so I wore Hi-Viz for once rather than the mandatory black on black with black bits.

U

User482

[QUOTE 4966657, member: 9609"]quite a few definitions of when the seasons start and end, some like the man made rules of attching them to our months, I prefer the natural order of things and like to think of them beginning and ending at the equinoxes and solistes - something very definitive and profound when the sun crosses the equator into the other hemisphere or does an about turn on the tropic of capricorn.

everywhere on earth (not sure what happens up on the poles) pretty much gets the same amount of daylight today - isn't that fascinating :sun:[/QUOTE]
I see it as an astronomical convenience that is not very well related the seasonal conditions we might expect to see. Hence the meteorological calendar.

U

User482

[QUOTE 4966696, member: 9609"]some things it seems to work better with, buds starting to open on trees and leaves falling in the autumn tie in better with the equinoxes, same with birds, swallows, martins, warblers starting to leave now in big numbers, Geese and Ducks starting to arrive. Of course many variations and exceptions amonst those but I feel it is a better rule than 1st September, which is in itself just a convenient date for record keeping
And also one of my passions from long ago, winter climbing. Rarely any worthwhile conditions until late december and some of the best ice conditions would be early march[/QUOTE]
I've always thought that summer starting on the longest day is pretty odd, given that we sometimes (including this year) experience heatwaves before that, and early June is often a spell of warm, dry weather. The leaves usually turn from early September and buds and bulbs emerge in early March.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Be grateful you don't live near the Equator where daytime length varies by just a few minutes all year and there are only two seasons, extremely hot and dry and extremely wet and warm. You also don't get those glorious long mornings and evenings because the sun just goes vertically up and down, plop into the horizon and it's dark in 15 minutes.

Venod

Eh up
Top Bottom