1st day of Autumn .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm refusing to wear pants/trousers till the first of October at the earliest.
You wander around pantless and trouserless xx(

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've always thought that summer starting on the longest day is pretty odd, given that we sometimes (including this year) experience heatwaves before that, and early June is often a spell of warm, dry weather. The leaves usually turn from early September and buds and bulbs emerge in early March.
Springtime is often quite warm. Late spring can be very summery. Early spring can be very wintry. Late summer is always autumnal... pinning the changing seasons to a single specific date is daft, but at least something actually happens from the astronomical perspective.

U

User482

Springtime is often quite warm. Late spring can be very summery. Early spring can be very wintry. Late summer is always autumnal... pinning the changing seasons to a single specific date is daft, but at least something actually happens from the astronomical perspective.
I'm mostly talking about the prevailing climatic conditions rather than extremes, so having the coldest three months as winter seems sensible to me. The astronomical argument is just a point on a continuum but it does make sense in that it's not tied to a particular calendar and is directly related to daylight .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ours is on some weird wireless thermostat thing and I can't work out how to turn it down or off. It's either haunted or knackered.

Probably haunted.

Ours is controlled by she who must be obeyed so sometime in deepest Febuary it will be on

D

Deleted member 26715

Ours is on some weird wireless thermostat thing and I can't work out how to turn it down or off. It's either haunted or knackered.
Hit with hammer, remove batteries easily sorted, although it may cause problems later on in the year

U

User482

There was only a week of summer here. And you could only tell because the rain was warmer than usual.
Didn't we have the hottest June since 1976? I hear August was wet in the UK, but I was in Canada for most of it, where it was warm and dry. :tongue:

green1

Über Member
Be grateful you don't live near the Equator where daytime length varies by just a few minutes all year and there are only two seasons, extremely hot and dry and extremely wet and warm. You also don't get those glorious long mornings and evenings because the sun just goes vertically up and down, plop into the horizon and it's dark in 15 minutes.
I preferred it that way. Yes I love it being light all evening, but I hate the winter when it's permanently dark.

Top Bottom