England : Greater Manchester 1st Jan, Kick Off the New Year. Manchester to Alderley Edge and back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Due to popular demand I have decided to organise a Cycle Chat forum ride from Manchester for the 1st January . Old friends and new can get together at the beginning of the year to start things off as we mean to go on.

Leaving Manchester's iconic Albert Square at 10am we will wind our way through the gritty urban and leafy suburbs of south Manchester, passing through Wythenshawe Park and under the runways of Manchester airport, before stopping at a café in Alderley Edge for refreshments after approx 18 miles. We then head back via Bramhall, passing through the park where we can stop to view the ancient Bramhall Hall before heading back into the conurbation of Manchester. To break up the urban roads we will be taking in a large section of the Fallowfield Loop cycle path as far as Gorton. From here we hit the mean streets of East Manchester to cover the last few miles back to the start, and in doing so I will take you down Every Street in M/cr and we will also pass through the dinghy underbelly of the Piccadilly area via a short length of the Rochdale canal towpath. If we are spared, we should hopefully all arrive back at the start by 3pm at the very latest.

THIS is the preliminary route, a touch over 40 miles and not particularly hilly (think yourselves lucky I didn't choose to head for the Pennines again! :whistle:).

upload_2018-11-13_12-58-32.png

A few things will need to be finalised. I need to pre-ride the route as some of the 'roads' I have selected near the airport are possibly little more than bridleways so may have to be adjusted (Eccups Lane/Rotherwood Rd?).
I also need to select a suitable café in Alderley Edge that will definitely be open on the day. I rang the Village Café but they intend to be closed. Caffé Nero have said they will be open so at a pinch we could just pop in there for some grub and a coffee?

So, who's up for a bracing start to 2019? Pace will be sociable, it certainly ain't no race but even at an average of 10mph we should have it done in 4hrs cycling. Probably an hour at the café for sustenance and a good old chin-wag and back in Manchester in good time to return to our families without getting too much ear ache over disappearing for the day ;)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Think me and Anita may be up for this... Weather and massive hangovers permitting.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Sounds like a good start to the year

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm in. Nice easy start to the year.
You won't believe how easy! I am trying to rope in my kids, youngest will ride on the back of a tandem I have recently refurbished and older son will ride solo on an ex bike of mine (He is rapidly turning into a young man and scarily fits my cast off bikes surprisingly well. I am selling it to them as a ride to a nice café in Alderley Edge......

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Recce ride done on Thursday and it looks like a fantastic route to me. Some industrial urban bits at the start and finish to give a real taste of Manchester, but also travelling on lovely rural lanes and passing some expensive houses at times. I have tried to keep stretches of busy main roads to a minimum and there is very little time spent on the big A roads we pass.

upload_2018-11-24_14-14-41.png

upload_2018-11-24_14-15-23.png

upload_2018-11-24_14-15-54.png

upload_2018-11-24_14-16-34.png

The roads I was worried about are fine. Brooks Drive near Hale Barns is perfectly rideable. Eccups Lane is good but when it changes into Rotherwood Road gets a bit stony so although not muddy might be a concern to some? I would be perfectly happy riding carefully down there on 23mm tyres without any problem.
If this part of the ride is a worry for anyone I can look at diverting around it via Knolls Green.

Café is still not settled. I stopped at the Village Café which was very nice but not open on the day we ride, so still looking for a solution if anyone knows anything else we can consider? There is always the Costa Coffee or Caffe Nero options but I will have to double check these are really open on NYD.

Final part of the ride back into Manchester is sure to have the likes of @nickyboy and @Kestevan moaning about back alleys and dark holes but gives a real taste of the seedy underbelly of the city (plus a short, sharp cobbled climb up Jutland Street which is even more fun if it is wet....) and a perfect finish to an easy 40 mile trip.

upload_2018-11-24_15-5-19.png

All in all, if I may say so myself, it will be an easy and interesting way to start the new year. :okay:

Top Bottom