1st proper fixed ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
went for a first proper run fixed today, did 22km at 30kph on 46 x 14. boy did my legs spin fast on some of the downhill bits of the undulating macc-congleton road (which makes up the route of the local 10m tt).

other than said tt, that's got to be the best workout i've had over that distance…

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
User3094 said:
Good job you didnt go to buxton then!!!!!

on that gear setting? no chance i'd get there :o)

on a practical note, i've gone for spds over looks, on the basis that there's more likelihood of having to resort to a 24" gear (two feet). the chater-lea pedals can go back on for when the fixed is properly restored.

RedBike

alecstilleyedye said:
went for a first proper run fixed today, did 22km at 30kph on 46 x 14. boy did my legs spin fast on some of the downhill bits of the undulating macc-congleton road (which makes up the route of the local 10m tt).

other than said tt, that's got to be the best workout i've had over that distance…

Thats not good. I've gone for (currently still single speed soon to be fixed) 48/18, so quite a bit lower.
On the positive side I did make it from Macc to Buxton today (and back!).

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You have an 88" gear. Thats way too high IMO. Id gear down if i was you. Unless thats the bike your going to just use for TTs.
Go down to 46/19, or 46/18 if you want, that gear would be much better for going around on.

Joe24

Radius said:
What gear you running on your 'normal use' fixed again Joe?

72 on normal fixed(which ive been around hilly wales on, and derbyshire), but i sometimes change that to 79.8
65" on shitter(just hills on the way to college and back)
99.7" on TT bike

What gear you got on?

Radius

SHREDDER
I hazarded a guess as to what would suit me, chose 48/18, so 70". Probably a bit too spinny in terms of going fast for me, but I quite enjoy the sensation and it will aid me if I come across any hills that push the limits I suppose.

Joe24

Radius said:
I hazarded a guess as to what would suit me, chose 48/18, so 70". Probably a bit too spinny in terms of going fast for me, but I quite enjoy the sensation and it will aid me if I come across any hills that push the limits I suppose.

You got 72", same gear as what i have on. Its not spinny when you get used to it. I was going along doing about 20mph, span away down a hill with a head wind at 36mph, and sprinted for a sign and got up to 32mph. And in a chaingang i can be keeping up alright.
Get used to the gear and you will be fine. I find that sometimes, having my hands near the stem so im more upright helps me to spin my legs more.

Radius

SHREDDER
Joe24 said:
I find that sometimes, having my hands near the stem so im more upright helps me to spin my legs more.

On 23x700C with 170mm cranks, 48/18 is 70.1", but yes I agree, since going fixed I've spent far more time with my hands neatly in the center of the bars as you describe...

Joe24

Radius said:
On 23x700C with 170mm cranks, 48/18 is 70.1", but yes I agree, since going fixed I've spent far more time with my hands neatly in the center of the bars as you describe...

How did you work that out?

48/18=2.66666667
2.6666666667 * 27=72.0000001

Radius

SHREDDER
I used that cos I happened upon the link a couple of days ago, yours makes more logical sense, I can't see exactly how they work out that changing from 23 to 25c affects the gear ratio all that much...

Joe24

Radius said:
I used that cos I happened upon the link a couple of days ago, yours makes more logical sense, I can't see exactly how they work out that changing from 23 to 25c affects the gear ratio all that much...

Theres a very slight change in tyre size, which does effect it abit.
If you set your bike computer up for 700x25 and have 700x23 tyres on, you will notice a difference in the speed, but you will fell like your going slower. Which, ofcourse, makes the distance it gives you change.

Top Bottom