1x road bike. Anybody own or ridden one??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilson jr

I am. thinking about swapping my compact chainrings for a 1X set up. Can get the parts needed online. Just wondering if anybody has done the same set up and how they get on with it. Cheers

Sharky

Guru
Did that. Just removed both rings and replaced with a 40t on the inside position. Cassette is a 10 speed sram. Took a few links out and all works fine. The simplicity of just one lever to go up or down is refreshing. Chainring is a narrow wide one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a similar experience to YukonBoy - a broken front derailleur on a ride forced me to use just one chainring. I had some significant hills to go over to get home so I fixed it on the 26 tooth little ring.

I am tempted to convert one of my bikes to 1 x 10. I have done much more riding on my 1 x 1 (home-built singlespeed bike with a 52/19 gear) than I thought I would but there are hills round here that I can't get up on it and its gear is also a bit low for riding hard on the flat. Something like a 42 tooth ring with a 12-30 cassette would give a good spread for much of my riding.

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

I too have a singlespeed 48/16. I love riding that, also when riding my road bike seem to find that I'm in big gear and using only 3 or 4 gears on the cassette (it' pretty flat round here). I do like the look of the 1X set up and also like to tinker so I'm going to give it a go. Probably going to go with either 44 or 46 tooth chainring. See how it goes.

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

Did that. Just removed both rings and replaced with a 40t on the inside position. Cassette is a 10 speed sram. Took a few links out and all works fine. The simplicity of just one lever to go up or down is refreshing. Chainring is a narrow wide one.
What chain ring did you use? I'e found a company called wolf tooth that looks pretty good. A bit pricey but there aren' many options that I have come across.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yup.....got a custom Ti thats 1x11 xt di2

Its a lovely simple set up as long as you choose the gearing for your riding

Globalti

Legendary Member
Never tried it but I think I would hate the big gaps between ratios, which is why I think it will eventually go the same way as oval chainrings.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never tried it but I think I would hate the big gaps between ratios, which is why I think it will eventually go the same way as oval chainrings.
I would be using the same cassette as usual, but putting up with a narrower range of gears than normal.

I wouldn't use such a bike when I was desperate to pedal beyond 40 kmph or to climb lots of steep hills, but I have a bike for those rides already.

My old Basso is currently on turbo trainer duty. I took its 9-speed controls off to use as brake levers on my singlespeed project (gear shifter parts removed) so it is currently stuck in one gear. I have some 10-speed hardware waiting to be fitted but perhaps I will make do with one ring and see what I think of the bike in 1 x10 mode? I could always put the front derailleur and other chainrings back on later if I wanted to.

Sharky

Guru
I would be using the same cassette as usual, but putting up with a narrower range of gears than normal.

I wouldn't use such a bike when I was desperate to pedal beyond 40 kmph or to climb lots of steep hills, but I have a bike for those rides already.

My old Basso is currently on turbo trainer duty. I took its 9-speed controls off to use as brake levers on my singlespeed project (gear shifter parts removed) so it is currently stuck in one gear. I have some 10-speed hardware waiting to be fitted but perhaps I will make do with one ring and see what I think of the bike in 1 x10 mode? I could always put the front derailleur and other chainrings back on later if I wanted to.

I used the same cassette as I had been using. With the 40T compared with the 34T, the difference is not mega. Just a difference of about 7" or the difference between the 21 cog and a 25 cog. At the top end it goes into the mid 80's, which is a bit low, but on the other hand, it is quite good practice to cap the top end and work on increasing cadence. Before committing, I was reasonably confident with the set up as I could get round my local loops on a 68" SS and that included two hills that have been used for hill climbs by local clubs, So options for lower and higher gears was quite a benefit.

I did a similar conversion on my TT bike, taking the inner ring off and all the trimmings and putting on a single 50t chainring.

ChrisEyles

Guru
On my touring bike I pretty much exclusively use the 38t middle ring up front. Paired with 11-30 at the back it does the job perfectly for 90% of the time. The granny ring gets used mainly because I'm often carrying full panniers, on a lighter/unladen bike I don't think I'd miss it. Never use the 48t big ring!

What problem is a 1x system actually solving for those of you that use them? I mean, I've had annoying FD issues in the past, but that was solved eventually with a bit of mechanical know-how. I think I had an FD seize once mid-ride in salty road conditions, but still that was a minor inconvenience and solved with a bit of lubrication and a clean post ride. Seems to me a step backward. Is it a weight saving thing? Aesthetically, they are appealing, but the flexibility afforded by a 2X or 3X system is too much for me to give up on my bikes for mere style & weight. Call me cynical, but it seems to be a marketing fad, designed primarily tempt some to replace perfectly good chainsets and shifters with 'new and improved'.

Top Bottom