1x road bike. Anybody own or ridden one??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

if you get the gearing right 1x11 would be a superb bike in its simplicity............i think a 42t front and a 10/42 cassette would be spot on

Yes, the hybrid I've looked at has a 38 front ring and I recon thats too low, on my geared bike I have 50/42 on the front and I mostly ride on the 42, so I recon you're about right 42 on the front on a 1x11 would suite me, its just a case of can I get a new chainring.

Last edited by a moderator:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yes, the hybrid I've looked at has a 38 front ring and I recon thats too low, on my geared bike I have 50/42 on the front and I mostly ride on the 42, so I recon you're about right 42 on the font on a 1x11 would suite me, its just a case of can I get a new chainring.
look on superstar components......i got a 40t direct mount for my sram force on there for 35 bucks

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

Got it done. First ride out tomorrow if weather permits.
20180105_194732.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
my winter road bike is a Cx with a 10spd single chain ring set up 38 & 11-34 I think. Works well, similarish low gear to compact with 11-28, lacking slightly at the high end but you dont really miss that. The simplicity is nice, and I have two wheelsets, one with knobblies if going off road, and one with 28mm slicks for all road rides.

ChrisEyles

Guru
A question for 1x roadies, how do you set up your chainline? I put the chain ring lined up with the larger sprockets on my MTB on the logic that I spend most of my time gurning up long hills (and putting most strain on the chain) in the bottom gears, but I guess for road use it might make sense to line it up in the middle to smaller sprockets of the cassette?

Or do people just go for bang in the middle?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
A question for 1x roadies, how do you set up your chainline? I put the chain ring lined up with the larger sprockets on my MTB on the logic that I spend most of my time gurning up long hills (and putting most strain on the chain) in the bottom gears, but I guess for road use it might make sense to line it up in the middle to smaller sprockets of the cassette?

Or do people just go for bang in the middle?
Bang in the middle for me...........

T4tomo

Legendary Member
bang centre

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Makes sense. Do you ever get any chain noise in the highest/lowest gears?
The chain is only going through the same kind of deflection that it would on a bike with 2 rings where you just avoid the last few sprockets on the opposite side of the cassette.

The maximum deflection on a 1x11 would be 5 sprockets either way. I do more cross-chaining than that without problems on my 3x10.

Sharky

Guru
If converting from a double compact, it's worth checking the chain length, based on your new chain ring size. I found that the RD wasn't taking up all the slack when in the smallest cog and was making a noise against the cassette.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm always quite careful about avoiding cross chaining on my double/triple crankset bikes (one of the reasons I don't like compact cranksets much is they seem to encourage you to do this). On a 1x this is just one thing less to worry about, though I do get a tiny bit of noise in the highest gear on mine.

I usually run the chain as short as possible (except on my 1960s derailleur which doesn't like this), especially off-road as in my 1x setup.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
n
no its quiet as a quiet thing. The disc brakes tend to whistle a bit though at certain wind angles, but I'll forgive them that for their stopping power in the wet, but be glad to be back to calipers on the summer bike.

Top Bottom