2 more women die in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No, not necessarily. My problem with it is that early on an argument was advanced that women are less assertive than men, therefore women on bicycles are riding less assertively than men, therefore women are being killed more. This was being taken as self evident.
Now the theory may or may not be correct in part or whole. Basing an argument on the assumption that it is both correct and the only explanation required is not really trying very hard, and not getting anyone anywhere near a solution.

I took it as a suggestion for discussion. I find it plausible at least. Well at least the cycling less assertively bit at any rate.

The women being inherhently weak and timid bit seems a bit of a straw man argument but hey ho

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
At the risk of appearing ever so slightly rude here are you OK?

YES but you lot can't discuss !

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Right discuss the subject people. No tolerance now

WHY is this happening ??? IDEAS ? ITS A CRIME... It's not happening in the same proportions in Manchester (that seems to be just me) !!!
Fella, we are discussing the topic, I was just asking @User who was assuming that assertiveness is the key. I have also posed a number of IDEAS, what are your thoughts on them

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Have you read this thread? It is a theme that has run through it, that women are lacking assertiveness which makes drivers kill them, that women lack the necessary spatial awareness to cope with traffic.
I see, I thought you were suggesting that this was my assumption. I'm not convinced that this is a general assumption though. we've had suggestions of spatial awareness, programming genetics and yes one or two suggesting assertiveness but there doesn't yet seem to be a general opinion. Perhaps this is the point, perhaps it isn't as simple as a single solution perhaps many contributing factors influence this outcome.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No, not necessarily. My problem with it is that early on an argument was advanced that women are less assertive than men, therefore women on bicycles are riding less assertively than men, therefore women are being killed more. This was being taken as self evident.
Now the theory may or may not be correct in part or whole. Basing an argument on the assumption that it is both correct and the only explanation required is not really trying very hard, and not getting anyone anywhere near a solution.
Fair enough, so what thoughts do you have on the issue, why do you think this happens very specifically in London

Profpointy

Legendary Member
So is it actually true that women seem disproportionately at risk cycling in london? If not so, then the "timid cycling" theory is clearly irrelevent.

My own experience (outside london) is that the roads seem safer and I get less incidents now that with more experience I've learnt to be more assertive. I could be deluding myself of course, or got used to the close misses. For what it's worth I'm a bloke

..... but why are so many females being killed?
Just a convenient hanger for a few random thoughts - nothing particular about your post.

I wonder if the fact that "so many females" are being killed/seriously injured may be a red herring? I can think of at least two groups, defined by being male and of a certain age, where there is an identifiable population of .... I'll use the phrase "less assertive riders". Aye - and this isn't London-based, either.

First - older men. In their 50s and 60s. They've been pootling back and forwards to work on their bikes for 30-40 years. Slowly. It's been their cheap transport, convenient for shifts which start or finish when the buses are stopped, and keeps their beer-gut under control. And they ride doggedly and determinedly ... along the double yellow lines. As they learned 40 years ago.

But please - no dismissive terms like "gutter-huggers". So many great old guys, with stories to tell. There's a goodly number around S Leeds, especially Dewsbury Road, going to/from the industrial parks.

And of this I am sure, they figure very highly in KSI figures. Hard statistical evidence? I have none. It's an impression gained from reading newspaper accounts, and police requests for witnesses to hit-and-run accidents.

Second group - an identifiable group among secondary school-age boys.

I commute to schools, and inevitably get to know the other cycle-rack users (... and repair their punctures, adjust their gears, and admonish them for their shocking brakes!). A group easy to miss among the testosterone-fuelled teenage jackasses pulling wheelies along the pavement, or riding down dual carriageway York Road, in the outside lane, at night, without lights ... against the traffic (yup! I saw you, Dwayne :eek:) ....

.... the quiet, polite, studious (bless 'em - that's often NOT a reflection of academic ability). Almost certainly taught "rules of the road" (ahem!) by a grandfather; aye, and keen to do right by their grandpa. With that same dogged determination to ride hard to the left, in the gutter.

And it infuriates me beyond all reason when I see how they get treated by some drivers on the road. "Bullying"? Doesn't do justice to the farking callous and deliberate intimidation I've seen some of these guys experience. [Fortunately, I have no inkling of how they feature in KSI rates. Nor do I want one - I teach some of the wee guys.]

As a general comment on a theme in many of the previous posts - basically, "mtfu and be assertive"? Sorry - that's victim blaming. :sad: If we need research - it's into the mindset of driving. If we need education - it's for drivers. If we need action - it's on piss-poor drivers.

Eeeh - that were a ramble! :tongue:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just a convenient hanger for a few random thoughts - nothing particular about your post.

I wonder if the fact that "so many females" are being killed/seriously injured may be a red herring? I can think of at least two groups, defined by being male and of a certain age, where there is an identifiable population of .... I'll use the phrase "less assertive riders". Aye - and this isn't London-based, either.

First - older men. In their 50s and 60s. They've been pootling back and forwards to work on their bikes for 30-40 years. Slowly. It's been their cheap transport, convenient for shifts which start or finish when the buses are stopped, and keeps their beer-gut under control. And they ride doggedly and determinedly ... along the double yellow lines. As they learned 40 years ago.

But please - no dismissive terms like "gutter-huggers". So many great old guys, with stories to tell. There's a goodly number around S Leeds, especially Dewsbury Road, going to/from the industrial parks.

And of this I am sure, they figure very highly in KSI figures. Hard statistical evidence? I have none. It's an impression gained from reading newspaper accounts, and police requests for witnesses to hit-and-run accidents.

I commute to schools, and inevitably get to know the other cycle-rack users (... and repair their punctures, adjust their gears, and admonish them for their shocking brakes!). A group easy to miss among the testosterone-fuelled teenage jackasses pulling wheelies along the pavement, or riding down dual carriageway York Road, in the outside lane, at night, without lights ... against the traffic (yup! I saw you, Dwayne :eek:) ....

.... the quiet, polite, studious (bless 'em - that's often NOT a reflection of academic ability). Almost certainly taught "rules of the road" (ahem!) by a grandfather; aye, and keen to do right by their grandpa. With that same dogged determination to ride hard to the left, in the gutter.

And it infuriates me beyond all reason when I see how they get treated by some drivers on the road. "Bullying"? Doesn't do justice to the farking callous and deliberate intimidation I've seen some of these guys experience. [Fortunately, I have no inkling of how they feature in KSI rates. Nor do I want one - I teach some of the wee guys.]

As a general comment on a theme in many of the previous posts - basically, "mtfu and be assertive"? Sorry - that's victim blaming. :sad: If we need research - it's into the mindset of driving. If we need education - it's for drivers. If we need action - it's on piss-poor drivers.

Whilst there's a lot to agree with in the above, people suggesting that assertive riding is safer is well intentioned and likely good advice. To pejorativley lable it as mtfu victim blaming is dishonest and unhelpful. I percieve I'm much safer by "assertively" taking the lane - particularly so after one extremely scary 100 yards including 2 incidents after I hugged the gutter thinking I was being too assertive. Never again will I make that mistake. This isn't to blame victims of bullying or outright murderous driving. I do agree with your assesment of how badly kids are treated in the road from my own touth

Whilst there's a lot to agree with in the above, people suggesting that assertive riding is safer is well intentioned and likely good advice. To pejorativley lable it as mtfu victim blaming is dishonest and unhelpful. I percieve I'm much safer by "assertively" taking the lane - particularly so after one extremely scary 100 yards including 2 incidents after I hugged the gutter thinking I was being too assertive. Never again will I make that mistake. This isn't to blame victims of bullying or outright murderous driving. I do agree with your assesment of how badly kids are treated in the road from my own touth
I couldn't agree more that assertive riding is good advice. I don't give a monkey's .... for the drivers I've upset riding Dewsbury Road into central Leeds ^_^.

Does this make my thinking clearer?
- Agreed that "assertive riding" is an entirely correct and appropriate response to the problem of aggressive and anti-social driving.
- But it's not a solution, and shouldn't be suggested as such?

Basically. for a brief moment in time I have managed to control my space - but the aggressive anti-social ******* in an Audi just picks on another, rather more vulnerable, road user?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
you won't get in-experienced folk going on a bike in Manchester - no cycle hire rubbish, and drivers that will run you over !
No cycle hire in Manchester? Did I dream hiring a Brompton from Piccadilly station then?

Riders in the City - any demographics ?

Borris bikes, or just bikes ?
Already posted:
London cycle hire users are all on similar bikes and IIRC women hirers are still disproportionately more injured.

Meanwhile, http://content.tfl.gov.uk/travel-in-london-report-8.pdf Figure 11.1 suggests that there are more cycling trips by men than women

And that 'self-evident' approach to this was scotched by @jefmcg way back on page 4:
Although we should note that "For example, across the UK in 2015 there were 100 cyclist deaths, 21 were woman. Pretty close to proportional to the number of riders, I'd guess" was an incorrect guess - from the relative numbers of riders, we would expect 33 women, so it's actually disproportionate in the opposite way to London, as @User correctly noted.

Perhaps what we need is a statistician, to explain about noise and anomalies.
@srw?
There's a statistician already here but it feels like no-one's listening or looking for data anyway :P

As @User13710 says, first someone needs to establish that it really is a problem, as opposed to a statistical blip or a matter of perception.
I'm pretty sure this is not a temporary statistical blip or matter of perception because it's been reported for years, but feel free to load in the previous years from https://data.gov.uk/dataset/road-accidents-safety-data and rerun the queries I used earlier to calculate the male/female fatality splits for different years. It would be good to find more detail on ridership by gender, too.

And of this I am sure, they figure very highly in KSI figures. Hard statistical evidence? I have none
"select count(*) from Casualties where Casualty_Type = 1 and Casualty_Severity < 3 and Age_of_Casualty > 49 and Age_of_Casualty < 70 and Sex_of_Casualty = 1" finds 675 male cyclists in their 50s or 60s KSId.

Deleting the Age constraints finds 2763 male cyclists KSId, so that was about 24%. Removing the Type clause finds 3578 males in their 50s or 60s KSId out of 16838 males KSId, which is about 21%. I don't think that's a large enough difference to think 50/60something men are figuring any more highly among cycling casualties than among casualties in general.

Similarly, 233 11-16 male cyclists (or 8% of all male cyclists) compared to 940 11-16 males (or 6% of all males).

So I suspect the reason you don't have hard statistical evidence to say they figure highly is that there isn't any!

Edited to add: if there was some reason to think that there were low cycling levels among those groups, you might have a case, but the statistics I've seen (CW0203 mainly) doesn't give me any reason to think that, although the upper age bands were 45-65 not 50-70.

Aye - and this isn't London-based, either.
So what's its relevance here, then?

Last edited:
There's a statistician already here but it feels like no-one's listening
I'm listening and appreciating :smile:
... or looking for data anyway
... and I enjoy (other people looking for/finding/interpreting) data.

To be fair, I think (hope?) I was suggesting that a more "fine-grained" analysis might show up different/interesting(/alarming?) results? An analysis WAY beyond my bog-basic and meagre statistical "ability" :rolleyes:, and way beyond the figures you have access to?

mjr

To be fair, I think (hope?) I was suggesting that a more "fine-grained" analysis might show up different/interesting(/alarming?) results? An analysis WAY beyond my bog-basic and meagre statistical "ability" :rolleyes:, and way beyond the figures you have access to?
Probably. I've been told it's possible to get hold of the "contributing factors" data in exchange for signing some agreements but I've not done so and anyway that's only the police report rather than something tested in court, plus once you start distinguishing the 9 London cyclist deaths a year still further, then that's probably doing case studies rather than statistics.

I feel the main alarming results found so far are the disproportionalities which @jefmcg and @User have highlighted: disproportionately many women cyclists in London being killed and disproportionately more men cyclists outside. If anyone can find data about why that might be, it could be interesting (but the non-London stuff might be better in a new thread).

mjr

Returning to the CS2 collision, it seems that Clarkes have a reputation for trying to squeeze past cyclists. I think this is slightly closer in to the city than where the collision occurred:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvbdT73U5VE

And here's Clarkes jumping red on CS3:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-2S19fzNM

And overtaking a woman through a left-turn:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpEE1A_n6dg

And just so you know it's not only cyclists, here's the Clarkes attitude to pedestrians: never mind the red light - just drive straight through them!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWf1lv6ecWU

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Inagree with some of this, in particular your comment about well taught students being bullied, which plays to my thinking on rule breaking.

I don't understand the middle aged reference, is this also a group with higher than average deaths through riding in London?

Top Bottom